1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Direct Android OS update?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by classone, May 18, 2011.

1. classone

classone Lurker

I'm about to move from iPhone to Android. I like the new Samsung Galaxy S 2, but I have a question:

Is it possible to not wait around for Samsung to release updates to the Android OS by downloading the the latest version of Android OS from Google (as and when they release it) and then overwriting the Sansung-flavoured version of Android?

If so, are there any instructions on how to do this?

many thanks,

Class 1

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...

It's believed that Android product lines that run completely vanilla Android get their updates first because Google doesn't have to send them elsewhere to have third party UI changes added. This likely gets compounded by wireless carriers who want their bloatware added to the phones.

3. classone

classone Lurker

So, if I have a Galaxy S2 from O2 in the UK, can I overwrite it with Android 2.4 when it gets released without waiting for the O2/Samsung version of it?

htebbe likes this.
  4. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

In theory, it is possible. However, you may have better luck finding information about your specific device in a more specific forum. Either in these forums Galaxy S2 section or Google search for 'Galaxy S2 forums'.

5. TheBrit

TheBrit Android Expert

No...not really. If you want to do that you'll need to get a Google Nexus handset. They get the latest version of Android first.

htebbe likes this.
  6. Medion

Medion Android Expert

Google only releases the source code. It then needs to be compiled for specific hardware. Since the drivers for the hardware are closed source, this becomes insanely difficult for people to do. There have been attempts, some successful (Cyanogen(Mod)) and some not so much.

You can't install clean Android on your phone like you could with a Windows laptop. The closes that you can do is root, install a custom recovery, and then flash a custom ROM that meets the criteria that you want. If you want something close to vanilla Android, check for Cyanogen(Mod) compatibility before purchasing a handset. Otherwise, you're mainly going to be stuck on custom ROMs that are variations of the OEM release.

classone likes this.