• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Directory appears empty in Android but not when accessed using mtp

pwabrahams

Dec 19, 2014
Here's a problem whose resolution requires knowledge of both Android and Ubuntu, but I'm asking it here first rather than in the Ubuntu forums.

I have a smartphone (Motorola Moto E) running Android 5.1. I can view its files (on the SD card anyway) using Dolphin. I have encountered some directories that appear empty using ES File Explorer on the phone but have files within them when viewed with Dolphin. They happen to be music folders, though that's probably not relevant. I need to resolve this inconsistency and see (and access) the directory contents within Android.

I suspect that there's some kind of file permission problem, perhaps relating to file ownership. But Dolphin doesn't seem able to display file ownership and permission, even for native Ubuntu files. And I don't see how to view that information via the Ubuntu command line (with ls -l or something similar). My phone isn't rooted.

They could be hidden, in ES find the option to display hidden files/directorys.

In android if you create a folder prefixed with a full stop it will be hidden ie:

.foldername

Also, if you create a file called:

.nomedia

And place this within a folder, apps by default will not list their contents. By default PCs will display hidden files as they do not recognise androids file permissions for hidden properties. This is as much as I can help you I'm afraid.

Reactions: BustaLime
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones