• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DirecTV DVR question

rootabaga

Android Expert
Aug 11, 2014
Crazyville, CA
Hey, folks. I perused the webz and can't really find an answer. I know there are a lot of very tech-savvy people here, so I thought I'd post and see if I can find some useful information.

My GF has an HR34 DTV DVR/receiver and it's pretty much full. Although it has an eSATA connection, connecting an eSATA drive simply disables the internal drive, so that the previously-recorded programs aren't accessible. So you can record onto the new drive, but if you want to watch something previously recorded directly on the DVR, you have to shut everything down, unplug the eSATA, then restart the DTV/DVR. Really stupid design, at least I think.

I recall that in the early days of DVRs, like TIVOs, you could (using certain software) basically clone your small internal drive to a larger one and then swap out the drives, doubling or tripling your recording capacity.

Does anyone know if that's possible with the HR34 DTV/DVR? If it is I'd rather do that instead of dealing with an external drive that has to be continually disconnected and reconnected. Bleh.

Thanks for any wisdom you can impart.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones