1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Disable 2.1 popup update notification?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by deftdrummer, Apr 4, 2010.

1. deftdrummer

deftdrummer Android Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2009
    Can someone please tell me how to disable the automatic 2.1 popup that is constantly displayed every time I unlock my phone? I imagine it would be something like renaming a certain file, but I guess I'd have to know the name of the correct file first.

Advertisement

2. stearic

stearic Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Security Trainer
    BFE
    There really isn't any way but to root your phone. Look in the section for rooting your phone and follow directions there. That's the only way i know of how to be able to do that unfortunately.

3. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Android Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Also is there any reason to ever not accept the update if you are not rooted? I mean it it a thousand times better than 2.0.1. I understand if you are rooted not caring but if you are stock take the update.

4. stearic

stearic Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Security Trainer
    BFE
    Only reason would be to wait to see if there are any problems with the update that slipped through the testing process. Other then that i don't see a reason not to go with the update.

5. Nurseferatu

Nurseferatu Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Tech writer & RN
    Oakland, CA
    After upgrading to Froyo I found that every time I connected my Incredible to my PC, my browser opened a tab insisting I download V-Cast Media Manager. Verizon customer service said there was no way to disable this.

(Downloading V-Cast doesn't help: If you cave in and load V-Cast thinking that will stop the popup, Media Manager then insists on opening every time you connect your Incredible to your PC.)

Fortunately there is a way to disable this crappy tactic without downloading V-Cast. I got this fix off the Verizon Forum. It has worked for many people, including me.

On your Incredible, dial ##7764726
    Press Call
    At "Password," type 000000 (that's 6 zeros)
    Press Feature Settings
    Choose CD ROM
    Click Disable
    Press menu, commit modifications (it will say no item changed)

After doing this, I turned the DrInc off, then on again. I find that when I connect to my PC I still have all the USB functionality I had before, and my browser is no longer hijacked by V-Cast.