1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Disable 3g

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dbx64, Jan 11, 2012.

1. dbx64

dbx64 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    Good evening everyone,

as you may know (atleast for me) the Dx2 has a terrible battery. I've been using juice defender, but I finally to stop using it for once and for all. Juice Defender, JD, slows my phone down completely and it just frustrates me knowing that the DX2 is actually a nice phone once I figured out that JD was the issue of my laggy phone.

Anyways, I've realized that 3g is the reason for consuming so much battery. if I am at home or on campus I'm connected to WIFI for the majority of the time. Unfortuneatley, I am not always at those locations and I'm forced to use 3g. I'd like to know of a way or program to simply disable 3g and/or set it do 2g or 1g or edge(whatever consumes less battery).

If android is silly enough to NOT add an option like this (unfortunately I believe they did not add such option in gingerbread), then I'd like an app with minimal options.

I LOVE JD as it improved my battery life 2 folds or more; however, I simply can't fathom how terrible my phone would operate with JD running. It was to the point where I was about to call version and force my way into a new phone.

I did a factory reset and my phone seems to be more fluid. Since the reset and the unistall of JD, I've only been out ALL day/night once. At by 5:00pm my phone needed to be on the charger or in hibernate mode(I took my phone off the charger around 7:30am).

Anyways, my question to all you Dx2 owners, on average, what is your battery life, in detail with usuage. I am just trying to figure out if my phone is bugged, my battery, or if I'm just asking too much out of a smart phone.

I surely appreciate your help.

-Drew

Advertisement

2. JonHan

JonHan Newbie
    None

Feb 8, 2011
    Turn off 3g by going into:
    Settings / Battery & data manager / Data delivery
    and turn off Data enabled.
    I do this if I start getting close to my data plan limit.
    My battery usually lasts 8-10 hours, moderate usage (no games).

3. dbx64

dbx64 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    AHHHHH!!!! Thank you for the help.. Now if there was only a way to create a toggle/widget.

4. coolpoete

coolpoete Android Enthusiast
    None

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    some other points to consider:

Are you in a low reception area? Your phone has to work harder to find a tower if you are in a low reception area and thus killing your battery faster. I have found that to be a problem at my job. My office cubicle is at the back of our office, far away from windows and near to our server room so my phone is consistently on 1x and no reception bars. I turn off my data while I'm at work and that solved that issue for me.

If you find that your signal bars are on the lower side you could try doing a update to your preferred roaming list by dialing *228, option 2. If your signal bars increase in general that could equate to your phone not having to work as hard to find a signal.

Secondly going in to settings - battery and data manager - battery mode - custom battery saver i have my phone set to turn off data after 15 minutes in peak and off-peak hours and that tends to help me as well. I think that's what Juice Defender attempts to do so you may look into tweaking that and see if it helps you.

5. dbx64

dbx64 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    Thank you for your response as well.

I have enabled a custom battery saver and I hope this will solve my issues.

6. uber_mike

uber_mike Member
    None

May 15, 2010
    Columbus, OH
    Running the eclipse rom and stopping most apps from syncing data in the background has helped my battery life a lot. I take my phone off of the charger at 6 am and it will usually be at around 30%/3600 mv at 11 pm.

I used battery mix for a couple of weeks to find which apps were using a constant 1-2% of cpu and any that updated hourly. I had probably 3 apps syncing every hour and 2-3 that were running constantly. It takes some time, but it is worth it.

7. gottoon

gottoon Newbie
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    You might just root and load a good custom rom. I am running liberty 3 and the batter lasts twice as long as the eclipse rom. The stock blur system is horrible at best with battery life.

cm7 just got released in beta a few days ago too.

8. dbx64

dbx64 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    I would love to flash a ROM, sadly I don't know enough about it to try it. I don't want to wreck or break my phone.

9. coolpoete

None

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    @dbx64 just take your time and read so you understand what the process entails. Once you get confident enough you'll get to it. Check out videos on youtube as well so you can see some of the process for yourself.

10. dbx64

dbx64 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    I feel like I know what to do, but I'm second guessing myself right now and I'm not sure what to do.

I'd like to install a custom rom, preferably the eclipse rom. Not sure if that is the best ROM for the dx2 or not, but it looks nice nonetheless. My phone is gb 2.3.4. I'd just like to know the best link to DL the ROM/have all the info. For example, [ROM] Eclipse v2.0 (12/11/11) - xda-developers - Those instructions differ from this link... [ROM] Eclipse v2.0.2 (12/30/11) - xda-developers. I do know the first one is 2.0 and the second link is 2.0.2 updated version. I would like to know which link I should us (if any).

**I decided to flash molten(final) and so far everything is running flawless. My phone feels so smooth and everything is zippy. I hope I can get my contact on my phone successfully. Aside from that issue it feels like I have a completely new phone!!!

I have successfully transferred all my contacts and I am now on a fastest phone in the world!!!

11. coolpoete

None

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Good to hear you have had success flashing! Wait till you get to Cyanogen Mod!! It's even faster.

12. dbx64

dbx64 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    coolpoete, now that I have figured out the issue I have having trying to install CWM on my dx2 with molten, I'm feeling daring and in the process of trying new roms...

My next rom that i'd like to try is... liberty, ecplise, or CM. Which do you recommend? I'm in the process trying to figure out how to get those roms because I believe eclipse and CM both require sbf 2.3.5.

13. coolpoete

None

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    It's really up to the user but in my opinion Cyanogen is best because it has no elements of Motoblur on it and you can customize it in every way imaginable. However, experience is the best teacher so I would tell you to try both Liberty and Eclipse. Besides it will give you some more "practice" in flashing. I've mostly flip-flopped between Eclipse and Molten before Cyanogen.