• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Disable Non-Stock Apps (Without Uninstalling)

JahmezzT

Apr 28, 2014
I am not sure if this is something that is possible or not. But this is what I want to try to do.

Is it possible to only disable an app you downloaded from the Play Store without fully uninstalling it. I know you can disable stock apps but wasn't sure about what I am asking. I've tried doing a Google search for the answer but I am not finding any results on this.

Reasons why I would like to do this:

1) I have a game that I want to stop playing for a while (either because I am bored or I want to see if the app is killing my battery), but I don't want to lose my high score, settings, etc. However uninstalling will most likely make me lose that info. I'd like to just disable it temporarily and come back later on.

2) There is an APP that I believe is causing my battery to die quickly. I don't want to really uninstall it unless I really have to due to specific setting I have in the app (like MMS settings for a texting app). I do want to see what happens if the app isn't active on the phone but I don't want ALL the non-stock apps disabled b/c then I wouldn't be able to pinpoint the issue.

I hope these scenarios make enough sense and someone might be able to answer this. I have a Motorola Droid 4 running Android 4.1.2 (Un-Rooted)

Thanks

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones