• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Disable Side Power Button while Locked

BrianZephyr

Lurker
Aug 15, 2011
Hello,

I've been a member of these forums for a while but under a lost-password-email account, and have had my Android (Galaxy S Captivate) for almost a year. I'm well-versed in Android knowledge.

However, certain things about Android OS really are pathetic such as why there can't be messages or custom buttons on the lockscreen, lack of customizable controls for hardware button actions, and overall lack of UI changes that seemingly Google prevented users from editing. I feel Android could be so much more but it's being hampered by disorganized programming from Google.

Anyway, my issue at question now is how can I disable the side power button long-press from bringing up the Power Options menu when the phone is locked on PIN screen? I've accidentally pressed it against something in my pocket and made the phone ringer turn on, made it turn off, and turned off data.

Is there a way to prevent this? Also, in case someone steals my phone and I am trying to recover it using lookout gps and wifi feature, couldn't the thief just turn off data (or flight mode) altogether without even putting in the password, preventing lookout from ever finding it? That doesn't make sense, and I've never purposely wanted to use it while the phone is locked.

Or is this another thing Google (or Samsung) just made impossible to change for no reason?

Thank you!-
-Brian

I tried that and all it brings me to is a menu called "ShutdownApp" that says "Enable to shutdown on end call long press"

I enabled it, but all it does is shut down the phone whenever I hold the power button for 1 second. This does not help me as I just want to disable it when the lock screen is on. I use it often to turn off data and flight mode when I'm using the phone, so I need it to be available.

Thanks for the tip though. Are there any other options?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones