• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Disable system update for Google Pixel 2

Cosmin Liciu

Lurker
Dec 5, 2018
Hello AndroidForums and glad to join. I need your help. I was wondering how to stop my Pixel 2 from automatic downloading, installing and notifing me about system updates and I NEED YOUR HELP :oops:
I know there are some ways to do this (from developer options/ disable system update OR disable notifications from google play services) BUT can yo please tell me (but if you know EXACTCLY) wich way is better for the phone and does not affect it at all ? Because i heard that if i disable the google play services notifications i may affect the way google apps work.
Please answer me if you have a pixel 2 and you did it one way and it worked because i need to know if it stopped for downloadinf, notifying, and installing it and if your phone has harm in a way or another.

TAHNK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

Well there is a setting in the Developer Options for whether you have "automatic system updates" or not. I always leave that off because I prefer to update manually (matter of principle: I dislike devices doing stuff like that without asking). I can't tell you about notifications though because I tend to check for updates near the start of the month and apply them then, so it never actually gets to the point where it notifies me about pending ones.

But it's not either/or: if you have automatic system updates on then turning off a notification won't stop it updating. I suspect that if you have it off you will get the notification, though as noted I can't be sure. So my guess is that you probably want to do both. But what I'd suggest is just turning off the automatic system updates and then if you do get notifications you can consider turning them off too. But you know what: if you turn the notification off and it causes problems, you can always re-enable it (Settings > Apps > All, then show system, select Google Play Services and turn them back on). If you can tell us what effect you've heard that blocking those notifications might have then someone might be able to tell you more ("it may affect the way Google apps work" is a bit vague).

Upvote 0
I gave an answer half a week ago. Since the main reason anyone buys a Pixel is the speed of updates and the length of time for which they are provided I doubt that there will be a lot of people who have done what you are asking. You don't say why you want to do this, but it seems to me that if you do not want the updates then the Pixel was an odd choice of phone.

Have you tried turning the automatic updates off in the developer settings, and did that stop them installing?

What are you concerned that blocking those notifications might actually break? If you answered that question it's more likely that someone could tell you one way or another whether it really is a problem.

Reactions: PitCarver
Upvote 0
I gave an answer half a week ago. Since the main reason anyone buys a Pixel is the speed of updates and the length of time for which they are provided I doubt that there will be a lot of people who have done what you are asking. You don't say why you want to do this, but it seems to me that if you do not want the updates then the Pixel was an odd choice of phone.

Have you tried turning the automatic updates off in the developer settings, and did that stop them installing?

What are you concerned that blocking those notifications might actually break? If you answered that question it's more likely that someone could tell you one way or another whether it really is a problem.
I want to safely stop the system updates becuse my phone works great now and i do not need another update so google chnge the way my search bar looks or to update something and on the other side to break something.
For example my old nexus 5 with 6.0 was perfect. Google put 601 and after that my flashlight turns automatically off and the camera also wont start after that unless restart.
That is why i want to stop system updates on my pixel 2

Upvote 0
Then try the setting in the developer options. You'll know within a month whether that works or not (and if not is no big risk, since there's no sign of anything more than a security update at the moment and they won't change anything).

If that isn't enough, then I'm pretty sure that it won't update a modified phone so rooting will probably be enough to block it. But since you were asking about SafetyNet features in another thread this may not be what you want to do if that stuff matters to you.

Reactions: Cosmin Liciu
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones