• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Disable Threaded / Conversation View

No, I don't need to see my side of the conversation, I just want an inbox sorted by date.
I guess I use SMS differently, I don't have "conversations" going back and forth like a chat. I'll get random messages from different people through out the day that are not always on related topics, so the conversations view just makes it harder to sort out.
I like to be able to quickly scroll through the latest messages all at once without having to pick out which conversation has a new message and diving into it to find the latest message.

Either way, giving someone a choice is always best.

Reactions: BethRogers
Upvote 0
No, I don't need to see my side of the conversation, I just want an inbox sorted by date.
I guess I use SMS differently, I don't have "conversations" going back and forth like a chat. I'll get random messages from different people through out the day that are not always on related topics, so the conversations view just makes it harder to sort out.
I like to be able to quickly scroll through the latest messages all at once without having to pick out which conversation has a new message and diving into it to find the latest message.

Either way, giving someone a choice is always best.

I came from my BBPearl to the DI and also hate the "threaded" SMS method. Like you, on my BBPearl, I may get the same person SMS'ing me, but the subject/content is different and doesn't relate to say the previous SMS from the same person. I would get a totally new and separate SMS message from the same person, so I loved it.

Yea, sure you can click and hold a specific SMS and delete it, but if I want to save different SMS's from the same person, it has all be the same "thread/converation", instead of saving different SMS's from the same person to different "threads".

Don't like it... But I guess that's how all the Android/iPhone/etc smartphones do SMS these days, so guess I gotta just deal with it :cool:

Upvote 0
this topic is funny stuff

for the last several years BB people wanted threads SMS so it would be like the iphone, Windows/palm etc

RIM gave us threaded SMS with OS 5, then people complain they dont like it!

These people cant be pleased no matter what companies do it seems. It seems there are some of the same people in the android world

Threaded SMS is best way to do it. i have i dont want to have an inbox full of 150 messages from 1 person! that is stupid design. if you want to sperate subjects tell them to use email, it comes with subject lines you know...

Upvote 0
I'm glad that there's a way to get rid of threading in email at least, otherwise I'd have a huge mess on my hands. People often just hit reply to email me and don't bother changing the subject. I also recently imported all my old txt to this phone. I've got a 4000 txt thread with one person, it takes 10min to load. Telling everyone that txt me to email me instead because of the way my phone displays txt isnt a very practical solution.

ANYWAYS, I was really just asking if anyone knew of a way to disable it or knew of an app that doesn't have threading or gives the user the CHOICE. I guess I got my answer.

The reason why one wouldn't like this feature or criticizing the choice doesn't really have anything to do with the original question and doesn't really help much. I got an android phone so I'd have more options. If I wanted a phone where someone else decided exactly how my phone experience should be because they believe everyone should do it one way, I would have just gotten an iphone.

Upvote 0
I also hate this threaded/conversation view and would love to know how to disable it.
the thing is its not a conversation view it just sorts messages by contact (for sms anyway).
what needs to happen to make it more useful is the ability to start a new thread. just imagine how difficult it would be to find any info on this forum if the only way to sort posts was by who made them?

Whatever peoples views are it's like lmbgm said its all about choice and at the moment we don't have one.

Upvote 0
To answer your question:
You can set up your gmail in the HTC mail app using the Gmail ActiveSync settings that Google provides. (look for the Windows Mobile Gmail ActiveSync settinha and just use those)

This gets your emails in a non-threaded view, but I've experienced occasional problems of not receiving some new emails.

Upvote 0
do any of you use aim/gtalk/msn/yahoo/bbm/jabber/facebook chat?

have any of you ever complain about how that is?

SMS = Short Message Service not instant messaging

but saying that at least in most im apps you can sort your conversation history by a date range.

The default email app in android is fine, its the sms app that gets very messy confusing and slow when you have 100+ messages and replies to load to find the one you wanted from three months ago. being able to hide the replies would be a start or a time limit to threads even a length limit without it deleting all messages when the limit is reached would be good.

The thing about all this that really bothers me is Android is supposed to be some sort of open source free *nix and the whole ethos of that is choice, which we don't seem to have. at the moment my old winmo device has more choice and openness than droid.

Upvote 0
Jesus christ... How are we the assholes for just asking for choices (and one that was the original that most of us have grown used to). There are billions of ppl in this world is it really that hard to imagine so ppl might want chocolate vs vanilla? It is moronic to assume everyone will like something just because you do.

Bring back non-threaded sms'ing and give the users the choice.

This was always the first thing I disabled on my windows mobile phones when I would put a new rom on them. The wife is coming from regular verizon phones and also hates it. Now my daughter loves it... Lucky for her I'm not like you guys or I would have berated her and punished her for not liking it the way I do. ;-)

Upvote 0
Just installed something called Pansi Messaging, from the Android Market. It offers the choice between threaded and non-threaded SMS. The other program mentioned, SMS Messaging, is non-threaded only according to their description.

As for some of the responses in this thread? Sort of reminds me of an old conversation someone had with Henry Ford about choice of color on his Model A. He basically said they could have their choice of color...as long as it was black!!

Reactions: gemery
Upvote 0
Just to throw my twopence worth in..... try SMS Composer for a non threaded view

I realize this is an old thread, but as far as I can tell there's still No way to disable threaded/conversation view in the default Android messaging (SMS texting) app.

If anyone is still using SMS Composer, and if you're happy with it, would you mind listing the full name of the app as well as the developer's name? There are several apps out there now that have the phrase "SMS composer" in the title. This makes things a little confusing, But on the other hand it also shows there's a demand for alternatives to the default Android SMS app.

Of course, if anyone knows a trick to either disable or workaround the threaded/conversation view in the default Android SMS app, that would be even better! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones