1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

disable 'update available'

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by nickdalzell, Aug 19, 2012.

1. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Extreme Android User

call me picky but i hate a cluttered notification tray. and data used when there should not be any. i got sync off, and i don't keep Play Store loaded when not using it. i even make sure it's not running in the background (normally it doesn't unless i open it first). but i get the 'update available' all the time. i don't *want* to update the apps right now. is there some way to get rid of that icon for keeps? or disable update checks? i do have auto update turned OFF.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!

If you go to the Google Play app and hit settings you should get a box that says Notifications and you just uncheck that. :)

nickdalzell likes this.
  3. nickdalzell

that did it thank you! now if i can get rid of the false low disk space icon too that would be even better! (phone is NOT low on space)

Metroid Prime likes this.
  4. Metroid Prime

You're welcome! :) Maybe it's low on internal memory maybe? Not sure, but have you deleted any old texts or cleared the cache?

5. nickdalzell

no texts yet (new phone) and it's go well over 20MB internal storage left. it doesn't cause any issues and i still get calls and apps download fine or work, it's just annoying to see false indicators in my status bar area. it's like that one gauge in your car that doesn't work. just bugs me. i can't clear it either.

6. Metroid Prime

Hmm... I'm not really sure how to solve this issue, but I'll do my best to help you out. :)
    Have you tried moving all the apps you can to your SD card?

7. nickdalzell

i am trying to avoid that because my SD card has tons of music and has less than 200mb left and i want it devoted entirely to music. i do not plan to download any more apps so the icon just needs to go if that is possible. i remember this happening to a previous smartphone (optimus V)and was solved by flashing a different ROM but since this one works i am trying to avoid that. besides the rooting process on this phone seems a bit involved compared to past rooting i have done, and i am not wanting to brick it

as for the SD card, i plan to upgrade to a larger capacity when it has no space left for music and if apps are on the old one it may cause issues if i swap out cards in the future.

8. Metroid Prime

I think with 200MB left and moving just a few apps over wouldn't hurt I think.
    Do you have any updates for your apps? I know some of them can really use up space.

9. nickdalzell

i haven't updated one yet and that was the original intent of this thread to remove that icon for updates being available. as for moving to SD the biggest concern is missing resources for apps there if i later change out the card for one of a larger capacity. i would either lose and have to redownload the apps or they will crash or force close because they're looking for now-nonexistant files on the old SD card.

i can live with the false indicator but it is bloody annoying.

10. Metroid Prime

Yeah, I hate annoying indicators myself lol.
    If you do get a new SD card you could move the old apps back to the internal storage and then move them to the new SD card if it's not too much trouble for you. :)

11. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

20mb phone storage is IS low. That's why its got warnings. It sort of gives warnings if you have less than 50mb I think. Or maybe its dependent on percentage of free space left.

12. Metroid Prime

I think you can increase or decrease the data you have left before the warning indicator comes on.

13. nickdalzell

i am not sure the real threshold or if it varies from ROM to ROM. my Optimus V showed it when there was 50MB left, (which wasn't far because only two apps downloaded triggered it) and it disabled many things, couldn't receive Gmail, Yahoo! mail, certain apps refused to work, couldn't text, etc.

this one remains fully functional though, but i have heard of devices that show that alert when below 10MB, some that are indeed false warnings with internal storage well over 200MB. seems to be an Android bug.

14. nickdalzell

if that is possible i have never heard of it. how do i do that?

15. Metroid Prime

When I go to Applications and Notifications it says to notify me when free memory is less than 10, 20 30, 40, or 50 MB. I hope you have this so it'll help you. :)

16. nickdalzell

well i got applications menu but no notifications after it. current options:

Unknown sources

Manage apps

Running Services

Storage use

Development

17. Metroid Prime

Aww. :( Do you know of any games or apps you hardly ever use at all that you could get rid of?

18. nickdalzell

nope. no games on this thing. i keep Angry Birds on my Fire. i also cannot uninstall the bloatware. i thought of rooting but it is more involved than my other droids, and requires ADB tools (which won't install on Win 7--says i don't have a Java SDK installed but i do!)

Phone is a Net10 ZTE Merit for all purposes

19. Metroid Prime

I'm afraid all I can think of is that you move some apps over for the time being until you acquire a new SD card to move all your stuff over on. :(
    I'm sure somebody else can offer better advice is to combat this problem. :)

20. nickdalzell

thanks for the advice anyway! and..one more thing. how do i clear out notifications on Jelly Bean 4.1? i got it just installed on my Fire but the little 'clear' button appears to be missing. seems to get rid of 'em i have to reboot.

21. Metroid Prime

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Jelly bean, but have you tried doing a factory reset if this happens to be a bug?