• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Disabling a device during the night

jschless

Lurker
Jun 23, 2013
Hi there,

I recently bought my son (who is at boarding school) a Nexus 10. He is staying up all night on this tablet and not going to bed. I was wondering if there's anyway that I can disable the device (lets say from 11-7) so that he cannot use it when he's supposed to be sleeping. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

P.S. The device is rooted. (I don't know if that helps)

You can't that I know of.

Alternate ideas:
- speaking to the boarding school about shutting off wifi between those hours as a policy for everyone (though he can still use the tablet and mobile data)
- you can install Cerberus. You password protect the program and can even hide the app from the app drawer. When you think he is on when he is not supposed to be, you can lock the screen on him, turn on the front facing camera to see him, display a message on screen, take a screenshot, etc. - all remotely from your computer at home. Not disabling the device, but you can spook him and let him know you are monitoring him by doing these things. Or even tell him you are capable of doing this once you demonstrate this to him.
- speak to your son
- ask the school for advice. You are certainly not the first parent to have this issue

Reactions: jschless
Upvote 0
You can't that I know of.

Alternate ideas:
- speaking to the boarding school about shutting off wifi between those hours as a policy for everyone (though he can still use the tablet and mobile data)

I teach in a large boarding school, 4,000 students. There is no WiFi in the student dorms, and no power outlets either. Of course that doesn't stop some students staying up doing QQ, WeChat, Weibo or whatever else they do on-line. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones