• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Disabling Browser and/or market?

PortNerd

Nov 13, 2012
I'm setting up some tablets for children, and while I'd like to keep their wi-fi on so that I can swap out some of their files automatically via dropbox, I'd like to keep them the kids from being able to surf the internet or install new apps on them.

I can root the devices. Could I just use Titanium Backup to uninstall the browser and the android market app, and then use TB to restore them in the future if needed? Would I be risking breaking things if I tried that?

Browser and Market can be frozen on rooted phone. Some things don't seem to work right, but if you get the apps from elsewhere like Amazon, they should work.

Some clones came without market access and had a different app store. Amazon and Androidpit seem to work.

I've got the browser frozen in my rooted phone, I use Boat. I've frozen Play at times with no bad results -

Reactions: badblue1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones