• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Disabling camera click sound, rooting, etc

peterh337

Android Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2015
This option appears to be missing on my S7, and most others around the world.

I know in the rooted version you can just hack the camera click sound file and that's it - done that on a few devices. But I don't want to risk rooting mine right now. Especially as Samsung are pushing out OS OTA updates fairly frequently and it is close to impossible to get any response on XDA or other hacking forums as to whether a given root method has been tested on a given OS update. People on there mostly don't respond to what they see as noob questions.

One way is to turn down system sounds but that kills a load of notifications.

Wasn't there some app which would notice when the camera was loaded and turn down the notification sounds and then restored them?

Is there any other way?

This is my S7's stock camera's settings:
Screenshot_20161220-124054.png

Upvote 0
I never had that option on S7 S7 T700 or T705. The internet is full of this. It looks like the US carrier branded phones don't have it, and "international" ones don't also. But a lot of these phones sold in the UK are from Malaysia etc and they probably do have it.

An interesting aside is that Iphones have the capability within the OS to hide menu options according to data stored on the SIM card i.e. carrier specific data. I had this 100% proved with the Iphone4 a few years ago. And it would be obvious for Android (well, vendor specific variants e.g. Samsung) to do the same... after all they have to sell most phones via the carriers' shops.

Upvote 0
I downloaded Tasker and have been reading about it. A very clever tool!

If someone has a script for setting the sound to zero while the camera is in front, that would be really handy and would get me started. I can see various uses for that app e.g. auto-detecting home wifi and doing some stuff...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones