1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Disabling Sprint Navigation

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mehbones, Oct 14, 2009.

1. mehbones

mehbones Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    How can I prevent Sprint Navigation from running in the background all the time? Every time I go on the market, browser, check my email, or send a text, Sprint Navigation is shown running in all of my 3rd party app managers. I have task killer so I can kill it as I please, however I would like to completely prevent it from starting up when i'm not even using it. Any ideas on how I can accomplish this? Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Guitarified

Guitarified Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I'm looking for the answer to this problem as well...any luck?

3. deviouskoopa

deviouskoopa Active Member

Oct 15, 2009
    undergrad researcher
    Blacksburg, VA
    me too... bump/tag

4. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Any ideas?

5. pdragon

pdragon Well-Known Member

Until the phone is rooted, we're probably not going to know what's causing it to start up. Even then we may not know. Send in a ticket to HTC or Sprint and see what they say.

6. ElAguila

ElAguila Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    South Texas
    I have noticed it starting on mine as well. After doing some testing I found that it only seems to start when I am using any software that accesses gps such as yellowbook or googlemaps

7. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    I have not been using ypages or gmaps. How do I send a ticket in for a problem?

8. Bennyhill

Bennyhill Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    do you think we'll get root access on 1.5 with 2.0 on the horizon?

9. pdragon

My advice if you are interested in rooting your phone would be to avoid updating to 2.0 until a root is available for those with 1.5.

10. Bennyhill

Nov 4, 2009
    ^ are you saying this because you think 2 will be harder to root? Or if updated to 2 officially (when available) will make it impossible to root?

11. pdragon

No, I'm saying this because rooting a smartphone is dependent on finding a flaw in either the OS or the hardware that allows access to the restricted part of the internal memory. More often it's an OS flaw. Major revisions in a smartphone OS often include fixing these flaws not only to stop the rooting behavior but because, technically, it's a security vulnerability.

So, the root that works on 1.5 will most likely not work on 2.0. Given time, I'm sure there will a way to root a 2.0 phone, but it will be different.

12. Bennyhill

Nov 4, 2009
    That all makes sense. Thanks for the info, Just curios why do you think we don't have a rooting procedure for 1.5 on the Sprint Hero?

13. pdragon

Because XDA hasn't found one yet that I've heard. If anyone's going to find one, I'd bet on them being the first.

xda-developers

Tags: