• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Disabling Swype?

grrgoyl

Jun 13, 2009
Something has changed recently on my phone (not by me), don't know what, and now no matter what I do Swype constantly switches itself on as my keyboard (I prefer TouchPal). I know how to long press to select the input method, and this works temporarily, but as soon as I leave the phone alone for any length of time I go back and Swype has taken over again. And sometimes when I long press the TouchPal doesn't even show up in the list, even though I didn't uncheck it under Settings.

Anyone know what's making it do this or how to stop it? Also of late it seems like my phone drains battery much faster with the same amount of usage (I swap out three different batteries and charge them externally so it isn't just an end-of-life issue). I have a Samsung Galaxy S running Froyo (2.2) if this helps at all. ( And please don't tell me to root, I'm perfectly happy with the phone otherwise and in my experience whenever I tinker I end up making things so much worse!)

Many thanks!

This happened to me recently and it drove me nuts. What I did was opened anything that brings up the keyboard, then long press anywhere on the keyboard and you should get a popup window with some options. Should be able to switch to diff keyboard from there.

I think you can change defaults there too somehow but not sure.

Upvote 0
Thank you all for trying to help. This morning I just tried a different third-party keyboard (SlideIt, which is actually much, much better than the last time I tried it) and knock on wood, that seems to have fixed it. So it appears the problem might have been with TouchPal! Love/hate those updates that fix some things and then break others, right?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones