1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support disabling VZW Backup Assistant

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rhart00, Apr 28, 2010.

1. KingZee

KingZee Lurker
    None

Aug 26, 2010
    Go to http://www.google.com/contacts

Then tell it to merge all duplicates. ;)

Advertisement

2. eselocoss

eselocoss Lurker
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    When I first got my Incredible I used Backup Assistant. After awhile I realized it wasn't a very good app so I did a factory reset to disable it. Although I did that though, Backup Assistant still starts up sometimes and SyncService will start up all the time too. This is really annoying because it seems to be eating away at the battery a lot. Any suggestions?

3. HoosierDiva

HoosierDiva Lurker
    None

Sep 26, 2010
    it's Verizon's way to sucker punch you. if you use Gmail...as an android user...your contacts are already 'backed-up' and once you are in, you are stuck until a factory reset is accomplished. if you log into the vzw site to 'opt out' you are only giving them more access.

4. Odin3

Odin3 Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    On my Wife's Incredible Gmail doesn't have any of the phone only contacts backed up. It only has the ones I imports directly from her Live account to Gmail. I even asked Verizon if the two played well together since I though it was odd that they would both be syncing the same info. It looks like it turns out BA tries to only back up "phone" contacts and allows Gmail to handle "email" contacts.

Any ideas on the easiest way to get all her contacts into Gmail?

5. craighwk

craighwk Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    IT Manager
    Denver, CO
    I made the mistake of turning the Backup Assistant on, but now I can't turn it off. I've tried the instructions in this thread regarding going into Manage Applications and clearing data, but I only have the option to clear data for Backup Assistant, but not Accounts & Sync. Clearing data for Backup Assistant does not turn this off.

I'd rather not do a factory reset, so if anyone has a better idea, please let me know

Edit: Nevermind. I downloaded Titanium Backup and deleted the Backup Assistant entirely. Good riddance.

6. cgull

cgull Newbie
    None

Nov 13, 2010
    Yeah TB is the ticket here. I used "Freeze" rather than uninstall however so it can easily be restored to factory.

7. TheSultan

TheSultan Android Expert
    None

Mar 6, 2010
    Operations Manager
    Rochester, NY
    For a single post on the forum, OnPointPro, it sure was a good one! Thanks!!!

8. stargazertony

stargazertony Member
    None

May 17, 2010
    I defeated it but it's still there and doesn't seem to be anything that can be done about deleting it. Went to Verizon's Backup Assistant site and deleted all contacts and emptied the trash. On my Droid 3, went to Dialer, Contacts, settings and disabled Backup Assistant from displaying in Contacts. It took a while to replicate but by the next morning all my backup assistant contacts were gone from the contact list. What a horrible piece of intrusive software. I can now let Gmail contacts backup/manage my contacts.

9. IBM

IBM Lurker
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    This worked GREAT, Thank You!!!

10. androidusercal

None

Sep 25, 2011
    How do you turn of the backup assistant on Droid X that is causing issues regarding Contacts?

11. danthesk8er

danthesk8er Lurker
    None

Nov 13, 2011
    WORKS!!! Thank you so much for this. I don't think I would have ever figured this out!

12. Larebear

Larebear Lurker
    None

Nov 15, 2011
    Wow!! Thanks, it worked great for me too.

13. catmann

catmann Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2012
    Did not see this here, but found it at Verizon and it worked on my X.

[FONT=comic sans ms,sans-serif]All you have to do is go to Settings / Applications / Manage Applications /All Tab / Sync Service and clear data and storage and this will disable it until you open app again and then it will prompt to set it up again..[/FONT]

14. elfaure

elfaure Newbie
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    Mech Engr, Robotics and Automation
    If you can find or have the older VCast Media Manager you can install it and there is a tray option (rt. click icon in system tray) "Do not launch VCast Media Manager when I connect my phone".

You can still get it here:

Media from Verizon Wireless - Media from Verizon Wireless - Thank You for Downloading V CAST Media Manager

EDIT: SCRATCH THAT. THE ABOVE LINK DOWNLOADS THE NEW DEVEL. YOU WILL HAVE TO HAVE IT ON CD.

Screw the new replacement Backup Assistant (Plus) which removes this option.

No more IE lauch annoying Verizon video and site!

15. DGriffin

DGriffin Lurker
    None

Jul 2, 2012
    Verizon Support provided the answer for allowing me to use Google Contacts and Google Calendar and not get duplicates on my android phone ...

Here it is: SYNC Google between Computer & Phone

16. zlittle

zlittle Lurker
    None

Aug 18, 2012
    sign into "my verizon select change features under my verizon, select your phone, remove backup assistant, click next until updated. you're done. Works on s3

17. borkmark

borkmark Lurker
    None

Dec 5, 2012
    Part of the issue is that Backup Assistant allows one to pay for additional backup features, and so it does not make sense for Backup Assistant be uninstalled in those situations. So control of Backup Assistant occurs by removing the feature from your device, not simply by uninstalling the application.

To completely remove Verizon Backup Assistant from your phone, do the following:

o Sign in to www.verizonwireless.com
    - If you are on a plan with more than one phone, make sure to sign in as the account owner that can control all phones and features on the plan, not as an account member with only one line on the account. Only the account owner can complete the steps below.

o Hover over "My Verizon".

o Click "Change Features" in the menu that pops up. You will then be asked to select the device on which you would like to change features.

o Select the phone on which you would like to remove Backup Assistant. You will then see a list of features you currently have for your phone.

o Next to the "Backup Assistant" feature, click the "Remove" button.

o Confirm your choice when prompted.

o Wait up to 24 hours for Backup Assistant to be removed from your phone.

Cheers,

borkmark