• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Disadvantages of installing vanilla Android on an S III?

King Mustard

Dec 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I know of the advantages in general, but what disadvantages are there specific to the S III?

Camera photos won't come out as well as the TouchWiz software's camera software, I know that much.

I'm also aware that the screen modes won't be available, as well as Samsung features (such as good S-Pen support etc.)

Anything else?

You'll lose the Samsung additions such as SVoice, Smart Stay, Multi Window, etc. Camera isn't as good but there are alternatives on the Play Store. Most of the AOSP roms have device specific settings, therefore you won't lose the screen modes.

In terms advantages you'll get a better phone, slimmer firmware, fast, smooth, etc. My favourite rom is Slim Bean, works flawlessly.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
You'll lose the Samsung additions such as SVoice, Smart Stay, Multi Window, etc. Camera isn't as good but there are alternatives on the Play Store. Most of the AOSP roms have device specific settings, therefore you won't lose the screen modes.

In terms advantages you'll get a better phone, slimmer firmware, fast, smooth, etc. My favourite rom is Slim Bean, works flawlessly.
Surely we install vanilla Android for cleanliness. Wouldn't having additional stuff (such as what Slim Beam adds) on top of the vanilla ROM defeat the point?

Upvote 0
It adds several changes for customisations but the firmware is only 92MB only. I wouldn't go completely vanilla, it's too limited. But if you really want to, try Super Nexus.

Samsung's ROM is vanilla Android with some additions. Slim Bean seems to be the same, just with different additions.

What's the difference between the approaches? (I don't mean specific features)

Upvote 0
Samsung completely changes the framework and builds on top of it its own set of changes. The core firmware is completely different, hence it also needs specific kernels which are TW only.

Slim Bean is built from AOSP sources, the framework is not heavily modified and it retains all the values of vanilla Android, including the smoothness of a Nexus device.

Anyway, the best way would be doing a Nandroid backup of your device and try it yourself, if you don't like it, you can come back.

Upvote 0
Samsung completely changes the framework and builds on top of it its own set of changes. The core firmware is completely different, hence it also needs specific kernels which are TW only.

Slim Bean is built from AOSP sources, the framework is not heavily modified and it retains all the values of vanilla Android, including the smoothness of a Nexus device.

Anyway, the best way would be doing a Nandroid backup of your device and try it yourself, if you don't like it, you can come back.

I have the classic S III issue - it doesn't charge via. the included plug/wire or via. PC (very common issue on Google). It's apparently a kernel issue.

I believe, from what you've said, this would mean I would be using a vanilla kernel so I would no longer have this issue and wouldn't need to use the plug/cable from my iPhone battery case to charge my S III.

Upvote 0
nah mate because even with the small enhancements the custom roms add, their rom is tiny compared to full blown TW.
if youre unsure, you should do what i did and flash a stripped down "LITE" version of a TW based custom rom and see how you like it. Then, since youre rooted, do a full nandroid backup and try AOKP/AOSP and see if you like it.
The main thing i miss after maybe a month of using AOKP is samsungs Multi Window feature tbh but (android-snobbery aside) i love how AOKP feels and looks (themed). if you like benchmarks, the benchmark results are far more consistant on a purer android version than TW. Its all about what feels/looks good to you and if you can handle losing these unique samsung features.
Kernel is also important to performance and battery remember and i dont use these rom's included kernel :thumbup:

P.s, about custom roms adding to pure android, i do know what you mean but i think most people would agree that even stock android is far from perfect and a lot of people use roms on Nexus devices because the 3rd party developers are closer connected to what we want from a firmware ;)

Upvote 0
MHL connectivity (HDMI) is one thing you lose too.

Thats something i was actually gona ask about bro. I have a OEM samsung MHL-HDMI that broke before changing to AOKP and i keep forgetting to return it but i wont bother if it needs TW to work. Is there any other way to get tv mirroring on the s3 using non samsung firmware?

Upvote 0
I havent had a single crash since usin AOKP tbh.
I might as well send back that hdmi adaptor anyway, a few friends have the s3 now so they can have the replacement if i cant get it to work.
I honestly dont think i could go back to TW now and i dont think (i hope) it isnt android snobbery or anything. Just setting other peoples s3 up for them and playing around on them they feel horrible but then theyre average users and im not so they probably love it how it is and would hate something more stripped down :beer:

Upvote 0
I love how people always push roms that are higher versions of android and always say things are great, but every time I've dug deeper, there are major flaws/bugs that are deal breakers for me, but people seem to just live with the issues. Is that not the case with many of the s3 roms that are on advanced android versions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones