• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Disadvantages of partitioning the SD card?

xCdC

Lurker
Nov 19, 2014
Hi
I will probably partition my SD card (class 10 so I dont need to worry about the speed) however I want to ask you guys about any possible disadvantages before doing it.
Of course I want to partition it to be able to link some apps to the SD card and save some space.
Im rooted and using the stock ROM and Gingerbread 2.3.3
How will the phone react when I will plug it to my computer and select Disk Drive (or whatever that function was called) which un-mounts the SD card ? Will the apps work normally after un-plugging the phone (the sd card will be mounted again)
Are there any other disadvantages of linking apps to SD?

The main disadvantage ifs that you'll be reliant on your sd. If you change your card our it becomes corrupted you lose your apps. I've had 3 fail over the years.

You're gain will be limited by the fact that app data will still be on the internal /data partition (just 147mb). There are scripts that will move data to the ext partition but they have disadvantages in terms of stability.

When you unmount your sd you won't be able to use any user apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones