• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Disappearing App Icons

robp748

Lurker
Jun 5, 2011
Hi -newbie here.

Android Version:2.2.1
Network:Virgin
Taskiller Used?: Advanced Task Killer
[Optional]Are You rooted & which Rom: Sorry, no idea what this means!

Issue:When I change battery (which I do every day) I lose the app icons for those that are a)in a folder and b) have been moved to the SD card.
Apps that are on SD card, but not in a Folder are unaffected as are all apps that are in phone memory. The apps don't disappear if I just turn phone off. Is there a way to prevent the SD apps in folders from disappearing when changing battery over?
Thanks

Is the app that creates the folders on the SD card too?

be aware that when android starts up, mounting of the sd card is one of teh last things to happen. Then those apps are displayed. Sounds to me like the folder app is on SD too, so thats loading at the same time as the other SD apps and causing the issue.

If this is the case, work around would be to move the folder app back to phone.

Any apps with widgets user interface interactions or need to run on start up should not be on SD card.

Upvote 0
Hi - I created the Folder from the Personalize button and this just sits on a Scene page. I then added Car Panel, Locations, Maps and Navigation (all part of the 'default' set of apps and not transferable to SD Card) to the folder. I also added Currency Converter,Trip Advisor, ViewRanger and Ulysses Speedometer into the Folder and these are the ones that I downloaded (Android Market) put onto SD Card and the ones whose icons disappear from the folder when I change battery. The app still work OK, it's just the brand app that disappears. Phone is HTC Desire Z

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones