1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Disappearing App Icons

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by topjimmy17866, Dec 17, 2013.

1. topjimmy17866

topjimmy17866 Lurker

I have a rooted Nexus 7 2013 and it updated from 4.4 to 4.4.2 O.T.A. I have noticed that over the last week the far right App Icon in the favorites tray disappears every time the Nexus 7 is rebooted. I am wondering if anyone else has seen this issue. If so is there a way to fix it ? Would doing a restore/wipe fix it ? Should I wipe the root & re root it ? Any suggestions ?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

Same thing has happened to me.

I am sitting on my daughter's Nexus 7 2013 xmas present. Updating apps, etc. so that when she opens it on xmas day I don't have to take it back immediately for a few hours to download and update stuff.

Once, when I rebooted, the original Play Store and Google folder disappeared from the homepage along with the far bottom right camera icon.

Next time I rebooted, just the far bottom right camera icon disappeared.

3. JohnW123

JohnW123 Lurker

Exacly the same happens to me since 4.4.2 update. Nexus 7 2012, not rooted but I am using the new google experience launcher.

The right-hand tray icon disappears on reboot.

4. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

I posted this on google+ and was blasted by over a hundred replies of "me too!" and the like.

It seems to be narrowed to being a GEL issue when they changed the grid pattern or something like that

5. GEL launcher seems to choke on the 7 but works fine on phones. Try a third party launcher or stock non-GEL launcher. Nova works great for me with lots of options.

6. topjimmy17866

topjimmy17866 Lurker

I figured it had something to do with the GEL launcher. I went back to using the stock one and everything went back to normal. I will give Nova a try and see how I like it. Thanks everyone for the help !

7. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

We got the updated version for X-Mas, and have experienced the app icons disappearing from both the default launcher and the purchased version of Apex Launcher.

In my personal experience, the icons only temporarily disappear. Once they come back you are stuck with doubled up app icons. ie; two Dolphin browser icons, one on top of the other because I reapplied it when the first one disappeared.

Nexus 7 (2013) Forum

The Nexus 7 (2013) release date was July 2013. Features and Specs include a 7.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 3950mAh battery.

July 2013
Release Date
Reviews