• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Disappearing Contacts

vernon271

Lurker
Dec 5, 2016
Hello All,

I have Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 5G (Verizon Wireless), running One UI 5.0 on top of Android version 13 and for past three weeks I have noticed that my Contacts would "disappear" meaning they are no longer on the device. For example, I would sync the device with Outlook 365 (installed locally on my laptop) and the Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Memos would sync with the device. The information is not being synced with any cloud service; the information is stored locally on the device and on the laptop.

Then days later when I need to email a contact I would access the Contacts app ( I am using the native Contacts app that comes with the device) and not one single contact is present. All of them seems to have "disappeared." The Notes, Tasks and Memos are all there but not the Contacts.

Then I would do a one-way synced from Outlook to the device and the Contacts would sync to the device. Then days later when looking for a contact on the device they are no longer there.

Has anyone had this experience or heard of this happening?

Regards,

Vernon

Assuming you mean 'Microsoft 365' and not 'Outlook 365' (doesn't exist), it's still matter where Microsoft's online servers are involved. Microsoft 365 is not equivalent to Microsoft Exchange, a service that can be managed and maintained locally. Or are you referring to 'Office 365', the old name Microsoft used before it changed it to Microsoft 365?
But whatever. Even when you're using Microsoft 365 'locally' on your laptop, it's still remotely tied to your online Microsoft 365 account. Your laptop is just a satellite storing and managing your account data, but all that gets synced online with Microsoft's servers. To do what you're stating, syncing to your own local server, you need to actually being managing your own MS Exchange server, something of a much more involved task. So it sounds like the Contact app on your S7 still needs to be set up to to sync with your Microsoft 365 account, or instead of the using the default Contacts app you might be better off installing and using Microsoft's Outlook app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.office.outlook&hl=en_US&gl=US&pli=1
The Outlook app is a more seamless way to sync with your Microsoft 365 email/contacts/calendar.

Upvote 0
If you don't actually want to sync your contacts online on your Tab S7, just go into it's Setting menu and disable syncing for Contacts.
At that point it will be your responsibility to keep the Contacts app on your Tab S7 and your online Microsoft 365 account data in sync with each other -- each time you add new or edit existing contact entries in your Contacts app you need to use the Export feature and then import that file into your Microsoft 365 account, and do the same vice-versa.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones