• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Disappearing icons and strange WiFi activity - any workarounds?

I JUST noticed this last night... I have a rather complicated organized desktop which is geared to the way I think and work - and I woke up this morning, and not only were all the icons for SD apps magically gone from the desktop (from apps installed on SD card), but out of nowhere the wifi was just "searching" over and over, yet it is always connected when I am home. I went to sleep last night, and placed the tablet on the night stand next to bed, left exactly the way it was supposed to be - all desktop icons were fine, and it was connected to WiFi. After just waking up and looking at the Tab to check email, I noticed all of the changes. What a SUPER pain in the butt!!! Now I have to re-create my desktop icon by icon.....All my other devices in the house have no WiFi issues, and I ran some tests so it's not my wifi. What this does is the device, on it's own, just flips over to 3G and starts using my data plan. NOT happy about these two issues at all - Samsung, this is really letting us down. I want to return this so badly.....

Does ANYONE have any idea about any workarounds to these things, please?

Thanks!

Mike

Mmm.. that sucks Mike.

Ok, I don't know whether I am going to be helping you too much, but the desktop thing, happened with me when my Tab was new. How did I manage to solve it? I have no clue! The disappearing icons simply stopped disappearing one day. I do notice that a few app icons do disappear from time to time, very rarely, but they reappear in a while too.

As for the wi-fi issue, haven't faced it yet.

Upvote 0
Hi, and thank you for your reply! I am not sure who everyone has for their carrier, but my Galaxy Tab is with Verizon Wireless, and ironically last night around midnight they pushed through an update to the device and android, not sure what patches there were or whatever, but my icon issue is not a problem any more! Now, after the device reboots or whatever, my icons are still there. Problem solved by this update!

Thanks very much!

Mike

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones