• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

disappointment of a nexus 5 in metropcs!

akmsr

Android Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2012
forest hill, fl
hi all,
i received a nexus 5 today and promptly went to the neighborhood metropcs store and signed up for a new account with 60 $ unlimited plan. i planned this carefully for months :banghead: but it ended up somewhat disappointing.
i am leaving boost for bad service at my location. barely any signal, dropped call, missing/late text and horrible "so called 3G data". enter metropcs. for the last six months i carefully compared all factors etc. and was close to get a LG spirit for LTE (which is available at my location). one reason was that i tether around 6~9 GB a month and boost only allows 2.5GB at 3G (1200kbps ) rest at 300 kbps throttled. i was reluctant to get the spirit as by mid 2015 it will be done soo....well metro started selling GSM phones and you all know choices got murky. t-mobile has a "strong 3G" signal at my location so i was again weighing in between CDMA and GSM :D
to tether on spirit all is needed is an user agent switcher in browser, on the GSM phones its way more involved including rooting the phone. aaaannnddd nexus 5 became available :dancing: but it came with kitkat that made tethering much harder. not only rooting is necessary also some database editing, not to mention user agent switcher.:thrasher: anyway tying my hope to "strong 3G signal" i got the nexus 5.
today i realized strong 3G signal is just that, at least at my location.:eek: i ran 22 speedtests in all possible combo... highest was 1.49 mbps lowest .35 mbps. thats what i get on boost. maybe a tad lower. boost 35$ a month compared to metro 60$ a month :rofl: my signal jumps between 3G and H. unfortunately i fell in love with the phone its gorgeous :rolleyes:.
only consolation is that i don't have to root my phone to tether, it works with just a user agent switcher even though its using t=mobile towers. so it seems as long as the apn says "fast.metropcs.com" it just works. i tried it without switcher but it loaded t-mobile upsale page.
what a bummer.

Well OP you've certainly run into T-Metro's Achilles heal. Coverage, or more exactly, lack thereof.

That TV commercial with all the carriers coverage maps, well, they're really not Really lying there... :rolleyes:

It goes back to our carriers name, METRO. If you're close to a major METROpolitan area, you're probably gonna be ok. But Avon Park is more Out-In-The-Sticks-O than it is MET-RO.

Rut ro. :D

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Upvote 0
thanks guys. even though i am disappointed i am supposed to move in a couple of months hopefully to a better coverage area. well i have seen a lot of screenshots of peoples speedtest with 3G symbol and those were misleading :lol: at least in my area.
even though a bit better speed and almost double the money compared to boost, i still think i made a better choice for the future. the coverage issue will be resolved one way or the other, i got a decent phone (my prevail is on its last leg), pure android is just awesome. i also am glad for not needing to root to tether. i did notice that in my account page in metropcs.com it is showing that i am tethering and the amount of data i used. hmm lets see when they send me a warning or something.

also guys how do i take screenshot and post it here?

Upvote 0
I think it shows 0 cause you are on the unlimited plan.. Makes little sense to keep track.. Better to check the data usage on the phone... Also I gave a Nexus 5 to my girlfriend and put her on Metropcs byod.. She doubles my speed in both download and upload.. She gets about 9/9.. I might get 6/6 in the same area... We are both in central Florida.. So coverage is great... Imho

Upvote 0
You made a wise choice with the Nexus 5, I would dump Metro (for the moment) and order a Straight Talk Att sim card, it looks like att network has LTE in your area.

The nexus 5 will get all att networks just like it will get t mobile. you can tether but I would be careful of that as they do have a strict no tethering policy That will run you $45 month the first 2.5 at full speed then throttled after that.

Upvote 0
You made a wise choice with the Nexus 5, I would dump Metro (for the moment) and order a Straight Talk Att sim card, it looks like att network has LTE in your area.

The nexus 5 will get all att networks just like it will get t mobile. you can tether but I would be careful of that as they do have a strict no tethering policy That will run you $45 month the first 2.5 at full speed then throttled after that.

i checked that tethering policy before and chose metro. i am between jobs at the moment and don't have home internet. :( the only reason i have a nexus 5 is it is an early christmas present. :p

how to take a screenshot and post to forum? thanks.

Upvote 0
i checked that tethering policy before and chose metro. i am between jobs at the moment and don't have home internet. :( the only reason i have a nexus 5 is it is an early christmas present. :p

how to take a screenshot and post to forum? thanks.
If you use user agent switcher straight talk should not know, I was without my comcast for 3 or so days and tethered 3.2GB of data about 9 days before my renewal, they did not even throttle me.

If the phone has a custom rom many dev's put a screenshot app in and you access it via the power button. Press the power button until the menu comes up if its there you will see it, if not you could download an app. You also could use a very useful app called AirDroid which does many other useful things as well, such as wirelessly transfer files to and from the phone.

Reactions: akmsr
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones