• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Disaster after Rooting my beloved HTC Desire

Hi guys,

Sorry for being a n00b, but I have officially killed my Desire after using unrevoked3 to root and am hoping for some advice on resuscitating.

After rooting, I installed Clockwork Mod Recovery and tried to do a backup. The handset crashed, mid-backup and started getting to the HTC splash screen, vibrating and restarting. After about half an hour of this, I did a battery pull. It's gone down hill from there.

Now, when I start the handset it doesn't even reboot - just sits on that screen for hours until I battery pull again. I have access to FASTBOOT and RECOVERY so am thinking all hope is not yet lost.

I cleared the dalvik cache, and master reset the phone before attempting to restore from the backup I'd been making - when I do this, all I get is an error stating: File not found.

Next step attempted was to reinstall the RUU from my PC. I'm mounting the SD card through Recovery, but when I try to run the RUU I get Error 170 Please ensure your phone is connected. (The drivers for the handset are showing as Android Phone>> My HTC at the moment, and it will not allow me to update them...)

Finally I attempted to install a new ROM from my SD - this seems to install ok, and advises me to reboot - this is when the handset sits on the HTC splash screen for hours.

Anyone who can suggest a fix will win my eternal gratitude, several brownie points, a buttload of good karma and some metaphysical cookies.

Some other info

HBOOT 0.93.0001
Radio 0-5.11.05.27
BRAVO PVT4 SHIP S-ON
TOUCH PANEL - SYNT0101
My handset is ex-Orange UK, debranded several months ago.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones