• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Disconnecting" from web

missdogmom

Lurker
Nov 28, 2010
I just got my Intercept last month. Our new Sprint bill was $75 more than we expected. My question is this. Do I need to "disconnect" from the web after browsing on my Intercept, so as not to continue to "use" minutes? (I am not sure how that works.) Also, if I do need to "disconnect" or "end" connection to the internet, how do I do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!:)

I just got my Intercept last month. Our new Sprint bill was $75 more than we expected. My question is this. Do I need to "disconnect" from the web after browsing on my Intercept, so as not to continue to "use" minutes? (I am not sure how that works.) Also, if I do need to "disconnect" or "end" connection to the internet, how do I do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!:)

You should look at your bill and see if it's data charges, or for actual minutes (phone), or for texts. If it's data, turn off/adjust/uninstall any apps that connect by themselves (email, Alice, IM, Facebook), set Last.fm to scrobble only over wifi (or avoid internet radio), change your Opera Mini connection setting to Http rather than Socket, and verify that you exit your browser using the "back" button rather than the home key. Dolphin HD will actually "close", this way, for reals. Heck, try to use Opera Mini exclusively if you can. That'll save you some data right off the bat.

Also, use free wifi hotspots whenever they're available to you, and if you wanna have reading material on the go, and know what you want to read, navigate to those pages in Opera using wifi and use the "save page" function. That way, you can go back to the pages and read them whenever you want, and not use any data (as long as you're just reading and not clicking on links). If you like videogame reviews, go to http://www.actionbutton.net and download some reviews by Tim Rogers. They're usually looooooong and hilarious. They've kept me busy many a time when I had no signal. Try Dead Space.

I have an unlimited data plan, so I've never had to deal with that, but I hope my suggestions help a little bit. You can always try calling Sprint and asking them nicely to take some of the charges off too. Can't hurt to try.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones