• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[DISCONTINUED] /e/ For Perry/Sperry

E?

• /e/

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • /e/

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted User

/e/

My first brand new ROM build for the Moto E4 after having received stable trees from our resident hero JasonM45! Please /e/joice with me and try this out!

As always, you take responsibility for what you do to your phone. Don't go filing civil lawsuits against me if your alarm fails to get you up for work in the morning.

The Hell's An /e/?
"/e/ is a non-profit project, in the public interest. We build open-source mobile operating systems that respect users’ data privacy. We’re an international core team of experienced entrepreneurs, developers and designers, and a growing community of contributors." --taken from their website

Basically think Lineage AOSP but instead of just leaving gapps out of it, they're trying to give Google the finger. Their ultimate goal for the future is to make a mobile OS featuring an entire ecosystem (/e/cosystem?) that respects users' privacy. They will have alternatives to the most popular Google services baked in: F-Droid instead of Google Play, something like Telegram instead of Google Hangouts, etc. As of the time I'm writing this message this is still really early on in the /e/ project though, so don't expect too much just yet.

What Works?
  • Seems like everything works to me
  • I got some /e/ apps included like Telegram, Signal, OpenCamera, custom skinned BlissLauncher (not exactly stable yet but it works well enough, and if you want to change it to something else you can always grab an APK for something online)
  • Sprint/Boost data should be working now
  • Encryption on this DOES IN FACT WORK, but only if you IMMEDIATELY go into settings, set your password, and then immediately set up device encryption right away without doing anything else. The longer you wait to do this, the higher chance you'll just get in an infinite bootloop after encryption
  • When I first booted to this thing I got a bunch of errors about Calendar force closing over and over even though Calendar works just fine for me, so just ignore these
What Don't Work?
  • Package installer is a hit or miss now for some reason. Adb sideload still works fine so if all else fails just do one of those for an APK from a computer
  • Magisk acts a bit weird too, sorta like the package manager thing I have no idea what causes this. Try getting a newer beta and see if it fixes it since I'm done for now
Where's My Source Code?
Don't worry, this took me forever to find too. I used the 0.1 branch which is Lineage 14.1 based. 0.2 is 15.1 Oreo based. Here's the roomservice I used to build this too.

Where's My Download Link?
That thang's right here

Can I See Some Screenshots?
2v9ajq0.jpg

34s5ybs.jpg

15g59ww.jpg

Who Should You Give a Special Thanks To?
  • The /e/ team (including but not limited to Gael Duval)
  • Jason M. for those fixed perry trees, he's the one that fixed audio and Sprint data for this bad boy
  • @bcrichster for telling me how to get the /e/ apps built with the ROM
  • SeanStar for the Owens CDMA LTE fixes, which were then ported to here by JasonM
  • The telegram group of E4 nerds I'm in with right now... damn, I never thought I'd see the day where we'd get stable Nougat (let alone anything) for this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bcrichster

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones