• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dish Network Free Sling Adapter

I just got my free Sling Adapter (after $99.00 rebate) from Dish Network, plugged the USB into the back of my Dish 722 DVR, fired up the Dish app on my Galaxy Nexus and now I can watch all of my programming including DVR recordings on my Galaxy Nexus. This is really cool. Dish does not charge anything extra per month for this either. The rebate is still going on if anyone is interested, but I am not sure for how much longer.

Here is a link with more details :TV Everywhere - Free Sling Adapter

Anyone else here using the Dish Sling Adapter?

Would you guys happen to know if you are having streaming issues away from home? I don't have my GN yet, but on my DI and since last app update back around October or early November, when away from home and on 3G, it takes several attempts to get the streaming started. It doesn't want to start up and I have to back out repeatedly to get things rolling. I often find the only way to get the streaming started is to select Live TV instead of selecting a channel program.

Upvote 0
Would you guys happen to know if you are having streaming issues away from home? I don't have my GN yet, but on my DI and since last app update back around October or early November, when away from home and on 3G, it takes several attempts to get the streaming started. It doesn't want to start up and I have to back out repeatedly to get things rolling. I often find the only way to get the streaming started is to select Live TV instead of selecting a channel program.

I have no problems streaming with the latest update. It often doesn't connect on the first try, but if you exit the app, then reopen it, almost always success on the second try. The picture looks quite good with WiFi and 4G.

Upvote 0
That's just it though, you shouldn't have to open, exit, and reopen the app to get it working properly; and for me I have to do it several times. It should work the first time you start the app.

As for Dish vs. DirecTV...it's all personal opinions/experiences and both have +/-'s. You can still use Slingbox with DirecTV too. I would've stayed on DirecTV but after 5 phone calls over several months requesting to resign a contract for a promo offer, they kept denying me. Once I called to cancel, they were eager to give me what I was requesting but it was already too late. I'm not sure why they waited so long because it could've been avoided on the 1st phone call; but in the end because of this policy they lost me. Then they just continued to hammer in the mail with promo offers to sign back up. I actually prefer my Dish VIP922 because it's much, much faster than any DirecTV receiver and the interface/channel guide is much nicer/cleaner to me. Plus, I get particular HD channels that I like to watch that I couldn't get on DirecTV, but did lose ESPNU in HD. Overall, I'm still getting more HD channels of channels that I watch on Dish than I could get with DirecTV. But to each there own.

Upvote 0
I got mine a dew months back. Dish was providing crappy service and I talked them into simply giving it to me without having to go through the purchase/rebate crap.
The key was to be polite, watch them stumble a few times and getting beyond the front line car types.
Anyway gotta say that I love my sling but its limited by my crappy upload speeds (768kbps). When you live in the sticks 6mbps DSL is as good as it gets unfortunately.

Upvote 0
That's just it though, you shouldn't have to open, exit, and reopen the app to get it working properly; and for me I have to do it several times. It should work the first time you start the app.

As for Dish vs. DirecTV...it's all personal opinions/experiences and both have +/-'s. You can still use Slingbox with DirecTV too. I would've stayed on DirecTV but after 5 phone calls over several months requesting to resign a contract for a promo offer, they kept denying me. Once I called to cancel, they were eager to give me what I was requesting but it was already too late. I'm not sure why they waited so long because it could've been avoided on the 1st phone call; but in the end because of this policy they lost me. Then they just continued to hammer in the mail with promo offers to sign back up. I actually prefer my Dish VIP922 because it's much, much faster than any DirecTV receiver and the interface/channel guide is much nicer/cleaner to me. Plus, I get particular HD channels that I like to watch that I couldn't get on DirecTV, but did lose ESPNU in HD. Overall, I'm still getting more HD channels of channels that I watch on Dish than I could get with DirecTV. But to each there own.

I have had Dish for over 7 years and they are the best. Anytime I had a problem with their service I just call and they have always resolved it in a professional and courteous manner. I have the 722 and the 922. Both great receivers but the 922 is awesome with 1TB of memory.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones