• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DISH Remote Access App Brings

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
When it comes to the combination of Android and television, DISH network has been at the top of their game compared to other service providers. While Comcast’s Xfinity Remote app just hit iOS and won’t make it to Android until early next year, DISH has been busy as the only television provider to offer complete [...]

More...

yeah i heard about this.
but i do have some issues with dish over it
1. sat tv was developed for rural customers who could not get cable, and therefore no high speed internet. high speed internet hookup is required
2. so i can view my recordigs and live tv on my phone. but i cant share recording from one room to another?
3. special hardware required that doesnt work with many popular recievers (vip622)

speaking as a former dish customer of many years

Upvote 0
@Mdram Hi my name is Jason Surber I am an employee of DISH Network, and you are totally right Satellite TV for a large part is used by people in rural areas, but as in most everything else it has grown and is used just as much in suburban areas as well. The TV Everywhere and DRA (DISH Remote Access) are actually two different animals in the same cage.

The DRA app does not require broadband internet connection, you can view your record DVR's off of your receiver through THE DRA application if you have a phone line hooked up to the DVR receiver. If no phone line is hooked up you can only set timers through the DRA application.

The TV Everywhere side of it which I personally love, allows you to watch live TV through your mobile devices or personal computers but does need to have a broadband internet connection.

Last piece here, is with a 622 receiver, you can do DRA through phone line or internet, for the TV Everywhere you would need to purchase a sling box. not a sling adapter. The sling box works with all DVR receivers, while the new sling adapter only works on model 722 and 722k.

Last resort, the 922 receiver does have the sling technology built into it and does come with a 1TB hard drive in it.

If you have any other question on the TV everywhere, or DRA, let me know.

Upvote 0
I love my sling adapter.. great add on to my Dish network .. and works pretty well.. a little tricky to get it up and running on first try but just kept working at it and it will be nice.. Needs a smoother start up on the OTHER device.. most of the time it take one or two or three tries to get it started and then changing channels is a bit of a hit or miss process. but I want it to work so I just hang in there until I get it to the right channel.. NOT a simple select and viola... takes more than that. Easy to view the recorded shows then get to the right live TV channel.

My ONE recommendation.. IT needs a MUCH better instruction manual to go with it.. the whole point of the sling adapter to to sling it to another device but NO instruction on what to do on the OTHER device... It took a number of HELP calls to Dish to try to figure out what the heck was the process and they couldn't even answer as it was a new product and I appeared to know more about it then they did..

I kept finding these tech companies adding less and less instructions.. I don't' know where they think we will get the info... but the last 2 tech products I got had a one sheet instruction sheet which were mostly just pictures. and of course none of those pic's address my issue.. ..

Upvote 0
The DRA app does not require broadband internet connection, you can view your record DVR's off of your receiver through THE DRA application if you have a phone line hooked up to the DVR receiver. If no phone line is hooked up you can only set timers through the DRA application.
Can you please explain how to do this. I have the app on my Incredible, and i have an active phone line connected to the dvr, and i have set it up in the menu, but i am not able to access my dvr. Is there some magic rite or incantation?

Upvote 0
Upgraded to the 722 along with free HD for life I added the sling adapter. Works great on the Droid X. It did take some fiddling to get it working properly (frankly I think I had the cord pulled lose at first :/ ). The channel changing on the device is a little hit and miss at times.

Upvote 0
I went back and read over the DRA again, and unless it changed when the sling adapter was lost, or I am losing my mind and it never did it. I remember when DRA was first launched that was one of the perks of ahving it hooked up to the internet, because we used that to help convince people to get the boadband hooked up to their receivers so they could enjoy that. But I did check again like a i said, updated back in September says it does need to ahve the sling boc to view the recordings now.

Or it could be my mind has been turned to mush by to much televison.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones