1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Dismiss calendar alerts without being next to the phone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dylane, Jan 22, 2013.

1. dylane

dylane Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 22, 2010
    So one of my biggest annoyances is calendar alerts that ring every few minutes until I physically go to my phone and dismiss them. My boss adds every event of his to my calendar, and he is often overseas so I have 4 or 5 alerts going off at all times of the day that don't matter to me. I also have a loft bed that I have to climb up a ladder to get into, so running down the ladder and across the room to where my phone is plugged in, just to dismiss a calendar appointment I don't care about is obnoxious.

I restored the Blocking Mode that Verizon in its infinite wisdom decided to hide, and that helps a great deal, but there are still plenty of times an alarm goes off after my blocking mode time, and I'm not ready to go grab my phone yet to turn it off. Usually I have my laptop on and will dismiss the alert from Outlook, but that doesn't seem to turn off the phone alert. So the question is, how do I turn off the alert without going to the phone?

My preferred setting would be something that caused the alert to only ring a set number of times, and then automatically dismisses itself. But something that would allow me to dismiss on one device, and have it be picked up on the other would also be an improvement.

Advertisement

2. Bodestone

Bodestone Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 17, 2012
    Though there may be ways (such as a Tasker task that starts blocking mode after a certain time but does not turn it off until you unlock the phone) could help but really the big problem here is your boss adding all of his calendar entries to your calendar.

Can he not just share his calendar with you so that you can see it if needed and then only include you specifically in certain items of importance?

Perhaps you could turn off all calendar alerts by default and then you can manually enable the items you need to be reminded of though.

3. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    1. Turn off audible alerts "for that calendar"

...or,

2. Buy an extension cord

....or,

3. Move your bed

...or,

4. Buy a bluetooth watch which interacts with your phone to manage alerts (e.g. Pebble, or Martian)

4. Bodestone

Bodestone Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 17, 2012
    Peeeeebbbbblllle!
    I hope I'm not too far down the dispatch list.