1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Display Animation Settings

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by whitesoxwin, May 31, 2011.

1. whitesoxwin

whitesoxwin Newbie
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    I've taken a look at the new X2 in a Verizon store on a couple of occasions. Wanted to point out that turning of animations in display settings can make a dramatic improvement in the perceived responsiveness of the phone in some situations. For example, with all animations on, rotating the phone from portrait to landscape orientation while viewing a web page results in a small period of time when nothing happens followed by the rotating animation, and then finally the browser switches to landscape mode. With no animations enabled, the switch is nearly instantaneous.

I'm not sure if this is normal for all Android phones, or if the animation induced delays are worse on the X2. I did notice while comparing the X2 to a Dinc2 with animations set to off on both phones, the Droid X2 was faster to rotate the display orientation. I'm also curious as to how the animation settings affect other phone operations - launching apps, switching apps, switching back to the home screen, etc. I didn't play around with the display model long enough to form any additional impressions.

Advertisement

jroc likes this.
  2. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    I always forget about this. Its funny cuz I have my desktop PC setup with very lil animations for some of the same reasons.

3. whitesoxwin

whitesoxwin Newbie
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Update - played around a little more with a Dinc2 in-store. Found turning off animations helped this phone feel a lot faster too. Maybe I just have something against animations in general. I tend to turn them off in Windows too. Why would I want to see an application window gradually expand to fill the screen when maximizing it when it could be instantly maximized?

jroc likes this.
  4. i_am_booked

i_am_booked Member
    None

Aug 26, 2010
    i turned off all the animations in the display settings and the adw launcher settings and saw a big improvement, i did that on day 1 when i got the phone.