• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Display battery use

jollygoon

Aug 10, 2010
After a week of getting my Galaxy S I have yet to set it down for over a couple of hours without playing with it, love it! :D Only problem with this is that my battery gets drained super quick. When I'm at home I plug it in, at work ditto, aaarrghhh!! But that's what you get for buying a smartphone, eh? ;)

After checking my battery stats it seems as though the display is the biggest drain. So with nothing to do, a pen and a bit of paper I am happy to report:

For every minute my display is on my battery expends 0.3 of a percent of battery power. This means for each hour the display is on the battery expends 18% of battery power, as such the battery will be fully expended if the display is on for 5,5 hours even without the other uses of the phone. (including calling, texting, etc. :eek:)

That sounds like a lot but I don't have any comparisons so I can't say if this is normal or not. So fellow SGS users, I need your help to satiate my curiosity. What's your display battery use?

Just to have a thorough post here's how I came up with the above.
Present phone battery charge : 55%
% of energy used by display : 69% (checked from settings > about phone > battery use )
Display up time: 1h 44m
Display brightness : 0%

Battery expended by display :
Battery expended : 100% - 55% = 45%
Display battery use percentage : 69% * 45% = 31%
Display up time : 1h 44m = 104m
Battery use (display)/minute : 31% / 104
= 0.2985% / minute

I'm having the same issue. My display is eating up between 60-68% of my battery use. I had an EVO, and on that the display was rarely above 10%. I have no idea what's going on here! My hope is that it's an error in reporting, and not that the screen really does use 2/3rd of the battery for this phone.

Upvote 0
Ah, but that's beside the point! :D I know that mine is pretty bad but that's because I play with it all the time. I want to know if 0.3 of a percent per minute is normal.

I'm not saying it's bad or good as my data set consists of 1 respondent. I want to see what the norm is for the display battery use and whether or not my phone is in that norm. How much energy does your display drain after each minute?

Any posts with numbers will be much appreciated! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones