• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

display brightness won't go down

splesmith

Lurker
Aug 31, 2012
My blind aunt is going to be using my phone some. We found a launcher called Eyes Free Shell, which works pretty well in conjunction with Spiel screenreader, and IDEAL MP3 player. But that's beside the point.

The thing is, when she's using the phone, the display brightness doesn't really need to be on, and the battery will last longer for her if it's not. I found an app called Shades that turns the brightness far lower than Settings will allow, but it seems like Tasker should be able to do this, and I'd safe some space on my phone if it did.

I set up a Tasker widget to set display brightness to 0, flash %BRIGHT, wait five minutes, and set the brightness to 30. (The last part is for testing purposes only.)

The widget locks the screen. So all her nice accessible apps that use the touchscreen won't work.

Ok, so 0 = screen off. I can live with that. So I set it to 1. Nothing happens. The widget works -- it will set brightness to anything in the normal range. But it won't set brightness to 1.

Beginner mode is off, Auto-Brightness is off, I've checked Disable Safeguard, Ignore Current Level, and Immediate Effect.

It flashes the correct number for %BRIGHT, but the screen brightness stays the same. What's wrong?

My blind aunt is going to be using my phone some. We found a launcher called Eyes Free Shell, which works pretty well in conjunction with Spiel screenreader, and IDEAL MP3 player. But that's beside the point.

The thing is, when she's using the phone, the display brightness doesn't really need to be on, and the battery will last longer for her if it's not. I found an app called Shades that turns the brightness far lower than Settings will allow, but it seems like Tasker should be able to do this, and I'd safe some space on my phone if it did.

I set up a Tasker widget to set display brightness to 0, flash %BRIGHT, wait five minutes, and set the brightness to 30. (The last part is for testing purposes only.)

The widget locks the screen. So all her nice accessible apps that use the touchscreen won't work.

Ok, so 0 = screen off. I can live with that. So I set it to 1. Nothing happens. The widget works -- it will set brightness to anything in the normal range. But it won't set brightness to 1.

Beginner mode is off, Auto-Brightness is off, I've checked Disable Safeguard, Ignore Current Level, and Immediate Effect.

It flashes the correct number for %BRIGHT, but the screen brightness stays the same. What's wrong?

try rootdim or screen filter.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones