1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Display draining most of my battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by optimusprimed, Dec 12, 2011.

1. optimusprimed

optimusprimed Lurker
    None

Dec 12, 2011
    Hello there,

I'm not a complete n00b so I will tell you the steps I have gone through to increase battery life later, but here is the issue.

Display settings:-
    Wallpaper - Plain black
    Brightness - Lowest
    Background effect - Standard
    Animations - Off
    Screen Time Out - 15 secs
    Touch light key duration - 1.5 secs

'Display' battery usage - 57%. (!!!)

I check with my friend who has the same phone (and is also an android app developer) and his 'display' battery usage is 28%. All of our settings are the same.

I am using Android 2.3.3.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to increase my battery life? It is running out in less than 24 hours.

I always close running applications, clear RAM memory and switch off WIFI, GPS and bluetooth, but my battery is still poor.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Advertisement

2. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    First off... The screen should take up the bulk of the battery usage if you are using the phone. I mean everytime you use the phone, whether its for playing games, messaging, email, calls... it uses the screen hence the battery use for the screen.

Second, 24 hours is actually quite reasonable for smartphones.

Third, just base on the given information, nobody can tell if anything is wrong with your phone. So here are a few suggestions;
    1) Check whether screen time and awake time generally corresponds. That would tell you whether any app is giving a problem. Better Battery Stats is an app that can help detect wakelogs (phone is awake when screen off)
    2) Switch off wifi and data when not using. You don't need to clear RAM. If you clear RAM too often, it actually sucks up battery instead. Imagine having to restart a the launcher each time. I only clear RAM if I want to make sure to kill some apps (like Voice Talk, wifi sharing etc which have been known to keep running in background). Even then, a reboot works much better.
    3) Update to 2.3.5 and better.
    4) And if you root, you can freeze certain apps but am not able to provide detail advise on this since I don't root.

Cheers

optimusprimed likes this.