1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Display eating up battery - please advise

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hdavuluri, May 27, 2011.

1. hdavuluri

hdavuluri Newbie
    None

May 23, 2011
    Hi,

I have been trying to extend the battery for my HTC Inspire 4G by following the tips on this forum. But I don't know what to do about the display (4.3" LCD screen), other than decreasing the brightness (set at 10%).
    The battery usually dies in 5-6 hours of moderate usage and every time the culprit is Display (consumes 80-90 % of the battery).

Any thoughts / advise on this issue?
    Are there any battery-friendly wallpapers or themes I can use ? Will rooting the phone make a huge difference?

Advertisement

2. UserName872

UserName872 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Network Administrator
    Philadelphia, PA
    How long do you have your screen timeout set for?

3. LeelaBot

LeelaBot Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2011
    Are you a heavy user?

I placed my HTC on fetch emails and now get double the battery life... Flickie wallpapers HD don't seem to use a lot of battery. Live wallpapers can use a bit - check the comments on the market before installing.

4. hdavuluri

hdavuluri Newbie
    None

May 23, 2011
    I set it to 30 sec, but usually use the power button to lock the phone after i'm done.

I would say i am a moderate user, using it for emails, task management and networking. Can you elaborate on how to set the phone to fetch emails?

Thanks for your replies !!

5. StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member
    None

May 20, 2011
    I say keep a charger nearby (car charger, 2nd charger at work or w/e) until a bigger battery comes out.

6. ninja_reject

ninja_reject Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 19, 2011
    Go to the settings of every app that uses push notifications, and turn the notifications off. Do you use widgets? I know my widgets eat battery, but I love them. Set any weather widgets to update less frequently. I have mine set to 8 hours, but I saw a daily option too. I would say try and find out what background programs are running, but you said display is the culprit.

7. Inspire4

Inspire4 Well-Known Member
    None

May 7, 2011
    I can't comment about the battery life out of the box but with the ROM I'm running now with Sense 3.0 I'm getting a full day out of moderate use. Normally at work I'll charge it up at lunch for 30 minutes or so and if I've been playing a lot of games it'll be down maybe 50%.

8. ooolalacey

ooolalacey Member
    None

I get a full day and I would say I'm at least a moderate user. I have my brightness always set to the lowest when I'm indoors.. it's dim but I just got used to it-- because, like yours it was eating my battery, and that seemed to help a lot. I use the 10 second timeout I think.. I also set most of my syncing to happen once a day since when I click to check things like email and facebook it auto syncs anyways.. I have the weather widget set to 8 hours I think.. widgets kill my battery too, but dimming the display really helped.

9. jennilyn

jennilyn Lurker
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    You said you have your display brightness down at 10%. That's good...but make sure you are turning off the Auto Brightness. By turning this off I was able to add 1-2 hours onto my phone just by that alone.

Also, when you are not in a wi-fi zone and know you're not going to be for awhile turn wi-fi off. When Wi-Fi is on it constantly tries to connect with local networks which uses up battery life.

Another user also mentioned this but make sure your email notifications are set to manual or at wider time frames. If you do every 10 minutes or the like it will be fetching emails a lot and causing battery life drainage. Same thing with Facebook, twitter & any other app you have that gives notifications.

ninja_reject likes this.
  10. charlotteart

charlotteart Newbie
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    I have insurance but I will have to pay $125 FOR A NEW RECONDITIONED phone.
    I was a little worried when they said the phone will be a reconditioned phone. I hope it works.
    the new glass if it would be fixed at the repair shop wanted $165.
    I went for the insurance new reconditioned phone,