• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Display? Hydro Life vs Galaxy Light

I posted this in a different forum and was advised to move it here.
http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...s-wvga-800-x-480-important-2.html#post6748776

"I was looking at the Hydro Life and the Galaxy Light today and on paper the Hydro Life has a better display than the Galaxy light, but when I was looking at them in person the Galaxy light looked so much crisper/cleaner. Anyone have a good explanation for this? When I first started reading this thread, everything you guys were saying about Android not being optimized for qHD and it made sense. However, it's been 2-3 years so I'm ASSUMING (probably not a good thing to do here) this should have changed? Anyway. I'm just trying to figure out why the presumably "better stats on paper" phone doesn't look as good as the "lesser stats on paper" phone?

Thanks for any help I can get."

Here is a stats page comparing the two phones.
Kyocera Hydro Life vs Samsung Galaxy Light - Phone specs comparison

We ended up getting one of each. Hydro Life for me and Galaxy Light for her. Guess which one we're taking back? lol Don't get me wrong, she loves the Galaxy Light, but I guess there's a problem with Samsung Galaxy antennas that if you don't live in an area with great signal then the phone is constantly losing connection. On top of that once the phone gets down to 25%ish battery it COMPLETELY loses signal for some reason. No data/calls/texts/anything. The camera is much better on the Galaxy Light and for some reason even though the CPU on the GL is only .2ghz better than the HL and the HL has half a gig more of ram the GL scored better on Ubuntu/Quandrant. I'm not a huge fan of the "virtual sd" card on the HL because right now mine is full and my internal storage still shows 3gb left. However, there are some apps that are by default set to install to the SD card and since my virtual card shows "full" then it tells me I'm out of room. I'm also a little disappointed with there being no LTE on the HL BUT the speeds I get still aren't bad. When we were in strong signal areas the GL speed tests were usually 5x higher than the HL, but here's the funny part. Where we live is close to the edge of the coverage area and the HL gets better speed tests than the GL.

So, in conclusion, we're taking the Galaxy Light back and getting another Hydro Life.

Also, not sure what was up with the first HL I tested because when we went back to get our phones the one I got looks damn good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones