• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Display models don't function? - Need a suggestion!

Which phone would you recommend most for someone who has NEVER had a smartphone of any kind?

• Total voters

cpolek1020

Aug 18, 2012
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice/ a little bit of help with Virgin Mobile and their phones.

-My boyfriend and I are switching to VM from Verizon post-paid on October 1 (my current 2-yr agreement with Verizon ends Sept 17 and our billing period goes through the end of September, so Oct 1 is easiest).

-We've each narrowed our choices down to the HTC One V, the LG Optimus Slider, or the LG Optimus Elite. We definitely don't need the-best-of-the-best in a phone, but we want our money's worth.. I'm upgrading from the LG Chocolate Touch which is, at best, a touch-screen feature phone with extremely limited internet. My boyfriend is upgrading from a Motorola Rizr that he's had for 4-5 years now and loved. So basically, any smartphone that we get will be a HUGE upgrade.

-The current prices on the HTC One V, the LG Optimus Slider, the LG Optimus Elite are $159.99, $144.99, and $149.99, respectively. The Optimus Slider currently comes with 1 month free ($35 plan). Since the prices are relatively the same across all three phones, we're lost.

I went in to Best Buy today to look at the VM phones that they carry (the HTC and the Elite), but I was completely shocked when I saw that the phones aren't functional. Being able to see a phone "in action" is really important to both of us ... my boyfriend has never used a phone with a touch-screen keyboard, and if he doesn't think he'll be able to get the hang of it he's going to get the Slider. Not being able to test these phones out at all is pretty frustrating.

So here's my point: Can anyone compare these three phones, or link me to a website that has a comparison? Also, and more importantly: are there any phones supported by the major carriers (Sprint, AT&T, Verizon) that function very similarly to the phones I'm interested in? (i.e. if Sprint carries a phone that is very similar to the HTC One V, I'd go to Sprint and test out that phone's functionality as a stand-in for the VM phone.)

Thank you all in advance for your help!!
-Christina

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice/ a little bit of help with Virgin Mobile and their phones.

-My boyfriend and I are switching to VM from Verizon post-paid on October 1 (my current 2-yr agreement with Verizon ends Sept 17 and our billing period goes through the end of September, so Oct 1 is easiest).

-We've each narrowed our choices down to the HTC One V, the LG Optimus Slider, or the LG Optimus Elite. We definitely don't need the-best-of-the-best in a phone, but we want our money's worth.. I'm upgrading from the LG Chocolate Touch which is, at best, a touch-screen feature phone with extremely limited internet. My boyfriend is upgrading from a Motorola Rizr that he's had for 4-5 years now and loved. So basically, any smartphone that we get will be a HUGE upgrade.

-The current prices on the HTC One V, the LG Optimus Slider, the LG Optimus Elite are $159.99, $144.99, and $149.99, respectively. The Optimus Slider currently comes with 1 month free ($35 plan). Since the prices are relatively the same across all three phones, we're lost.

I went in to Best Buy today to look at the VM phones that they carry (the HTC and the Elite), but I was completely shocked when I saw that the phones aren't functional. Being able to see a phone "in action" is really important to both of us ... my boyfriend has never used a phone with a touch-screen keyboard, and if he doesn't think he'll be able to get the hang of it he's going to get the Slider. Not being able to test these phones out at all is pretty frustrating.

So here's my point: Can anyone compare these three phones, or link me to a website that has a comparison? Also, and more importantly: are there any phones supported by the major carriers (Sprint, AT&T, Verizon) that function very similarly to the phones I'm interested in? (i.e. if Sprint carries a phone that is very similar to the HTC One V, I'd go to Sprint and test out that phone's functionality as a stand-in for the VM phone.)

Thank you all in advance for your help!!
-Christina

I'd buy the One V. The $159 price is a sale price, it normally costs $199. Of course, that also raises the question of whether the One V will still be $159 when you go to buy the phone.

My second choice would be the Optimus Elite. The Optimus Slider is an older phone that has less storage, a smaller screen, and a worse camera than the Elite.

You can find a comparison of the Elite and the One V here, and a comparison of the Elite to the Slider here.

I know Sprint sells the Optimus Elite and Verizon sells the Slider as the LG Enlighten.

Reactions: cpolek1020
Upvote 0
Thanks for your opinion! I'm not even considering the Slider, and my boyfriend is only considering it if he can't get the hang of a touch-screen keyboard.

Have you had any of these phones?

I my mom as the slider, and I played with the Evo n Elite my friends have.
I would tell him learn quick with the touch screen :p

Note
I would get the HTC above the Elite

Upvote 0
I'd buy the One V. The $159 price is a sale price, it normally costs $199. Of course, that also raises the question of whether the One V will still be $159 when you go to buy the phone.

We'll be purchasing our phones this weekend (either tonight or tomorrow) in order to guarantee the pricing, then we'll wait to activate the phones until Oct 1.

You can find a comparison of the Elite and the One V here, and a comparison of the Elite to the Slider here.

I know Sprint sells the Optimus Elite and Verizon sells the Slider as the LG Enlighten.

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Anyone have any idea if the HTC One V is sold as a comparable model on another carrier?

Upvote 0
Thanks for your opinion! I'm not even considering the Slider, and my boyfriend is only considering it if he can't get the hang of a touch-screen keyboard.

VM is supposed to be releasing a new phone on Aug. 30 with a slide out keyboard, the Kyocera Rise. The phone is supposed to go on sell on Sprint tomorrow. With a larger screen, faster processor, and Ice Cream Sandwich at only $100, I would probably buy that phone(assuming the phone works decently), if I had to have a keyboard.

There is also supposed to be a joint Samsung/Sprint (VM and Boost Mobile) event next week where more two more VM phones are rumored to be announced.

Upvote 0
We'll be purchasing our phones this weekend (either tonight or tomorrow) in order to guarantee the pricing, then we'll wait to activate the phones until Oct 1.

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Anyone have any idea if the HTC One V is sold as a comparable model on another carrier?

The only other carrier I can find that sells the One V in the US is US Cellular.

Upvote 0

Trust me, he will. I had some times when I thought I would not make the adjustment, but I eventually did, especially on my Motorola Xoom.
The other thing about that is with a slider, you have moving parts. That means one more thing that will wear with time & use.

Good Luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones