• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Display Modification in Android

Stat7

Lurker
Jul 15, 2013
Hi, I am trying to build an app that when installed modifies the phone display into a size and shape. For instance, I select half the screen - the display should be compressed into half the size (rest of the screen is black). Note that I don't want to cut the display in half but it should appear like it has been compressed into half. I can probably get the compression algorithm in an image processing library but how do I do this in android. I would like to do this for anything that is on display while my app is running in background but even for my own app - if I have a constantly changing screen, how do I do this? I looked at some magnify glass apps, so the method must be somewhat similar I think.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones