1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Display time when phone is locked

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chuckeee, Jul 29, 2011.

1. chuckeee

chuckeee Lurker
    None

Jul 17, 2011
    Hi,
    I used to use a Sony Ericsson phone which had a great feature. The time always displayed on the phone when it was locked (and the screen was 'off'), in large, dim grey letters on a black background.
    Android is annoying because whenever I want to simply see what the time is, I have to press the Power button, and then press the same button again to turn the display off again.

Is there some way to get the Sony Ericsson funcionality on Android?
    Thanks

Advertisement

2. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

hmm, i dont know if there's a third party app that does this but u could just turn the screen on to check the lock screen time :D it'll turn off in 30 seconds if u dont wanna turn it off :p

3. Gearu

Gearu Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    My lockscreen auto turns off after 5 seconds.

4. chuckeee

chuckeee Lurker
    None

Jul 17, 2011
    OK, even if the locksceen turns off in 5 seconds you still have to press a button just to find out what the time is, and then if you put the phone back in your pocket within those 5 seconds, you risk the phone unlocking itself by swiping the inside of your pocket.
    It just seems like the Sony Ericsson solution was far better. I could just glance at the phone, at any time, and know the time, and it didn't waste batteries because the screen was mostly black.

5. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Android Expert

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    I haven't seen a way this is possible. I guess you could buy a watch.

6. Nightsabre

Nightsabre Newbie
    None

If I remember correctly, the NoLED app provides a function to have the time on the display permanently... though would have an effect on battery life I guess

7. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire
    I can see the appeal of this as I don't wear a watch and haven't since being a small child

The problem is that the SGS2 goes to sleep to save battery. Having the screen on and the phone on all the time would have a big effect on battery life on a phone that already has pretty mediocre battery life.

8. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

yeah, i dont think i'd wanna have this feature even if was available. u could try out noLED like mentioned above. im not sure about that, and im sure it'll be a noticable battery drain

9. evohicks

evohicks Android Expert

Jun 26, 2011
    Male
    Shropshire, UK
    If I remember rightly, the Sony Ericsson would show the time(white background/black writing) only after pressing the side button, I had quite a few different models and most did the same, my current C902 does the same, so in my view there is no difference to the androis OS clock.

10. dudders007

dudders007 Lurker
    None

Sep 20, 2012

i dunno about sony ericsson but i hav seen the clock being displayed on the screen of the N8 n newer models wit amoled screens as soon as the screen is locked.. and noLED drains the battery by 20-30% overnight. :( but on nokia phones, with the screen always displaying the time, the battery lasts much longer.. really wish some1 wud come up with such energy saving clocks that r very useful.. these clocks wer made for these amoled screens as jus those pixels light up.. :smokingsomb:

11. geoffibs

geoffibs Member
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    I used to really like this feature on my old SE.

I could imagine a very dimmed version working but a said, its the battery life that could cause issues.

I've got alarm clock pro that gives a very dim time but doesn't lock the screen. It looks good. I should try it when it's on my desk and see the effect on the battery.

12. JR866Gooner

JR866Gooner Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 9, 2010
    IT> MCDST
    UK- East Anglia
    I can see that being a major drain unfortunately with smartphones the way they are!