1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Displaying over other apps --- blocking

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Christopher Clayton, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Christopher Clayton

On both my phone and tablet I am now getting the problem notification that 'it looks like an app is blocking access to Google Store by displaying over other apps'. It is preventing me from downloading new apps and suggests I stop the offending app. How do I identify the culprit(s)? I have many apps to which it might apply.

#1 Christopher Clayton, Oct 12, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2021

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

You can probably work around it by booting into safe mode: that disables user-installed apps, so I'd expect you could use the Play Store without interference in that mode.

But the interesting thing here is that it's on both phone and tablet. That suggests that it's something you have installed on both, which must narrow it a little. Have you tried using some permissions explorer to identify apps that have this capability (I have Addons Detector, but many security apps can also do this)? It's also very, very unusual for an app with this permission to do this, so assuming that it isn't some adware thing I might think about whether any of the apps with it might legitimately be using this frequently/constantly (i.e. "what does app X need this permission for?"). You might try some system monitor to show which apps are active, to see whether that narrows the list. But unfortunately if there is nothing visible to give you a clue it may well come down to trial and error, in which case it may be stop one, see whether that helps, if not check it is still stopped (if it just restarts after you stop it you won't know whether it was the culprit or not), and when you have eliminated one app move on to the next.

To be honest, once I was sure of the culprit I wouldn't just stop it, I'd uninstall it. I've never met this in more than a decade of using Android, so either it is a badly buggy app or a malicious one - if it's only affecting the Play Store I would not rule out malware.

mikedt and ocnbrze like this.
  3. Christopher Clayton

Thank you for your detailed reply, and my apologies for being so long to respond, partly caused be a very worriesome issue with being locked out of my Microsoft account and a nightmare of Catch 22 impossible solutions. I did not solve, somehow it cured itself, coinciding with an OS update.

In the meantime the 'displaying over other apps' blocking has become more accute on both devices. I did try the very tedious 'fix' of removing one by one all the display over permissions on my tablet (only because it would be easier than on my phone). It did not work. As far as I know every app with display over permission has had it removed. Maybe I missed one and I am so down on my luck I it is 'the one!'

The other suggestion to try it in SafeMode I have not tried as I have not yet solved how to get Safe Mode in my MiNote phone, which uses its own unique procedure I understand

4. Christopher Clayton

Entering Safe Mode has not so far helped. I am trying to download Stagecoach, a UK bus times etc app. I can now find it on PlayStore but on trying to download it I get "Error: Please open my apps to establish a connection with the server." What does this mean?

1)The message is all lower case but I have tried to download apps called my apps and similar. If any of them are what is called for, they are not downloading. I can list all of my apps anyway, but nothing (permissions etc) appears related to 'establishing a server connection'
    2) what is this "connection with the server? referred to, if not the WiFi connection which is shown as available, with a strong signal? If this is it, wha donet more needs to be done

I noticed in the phone that with SafeMode, In Flight Mode was on, so I have stopped it. Any relevance?

5. Christopher Clayton

Apologies for the errors. I am getting tired.

On the phone I have a few, little used apps, which seem relevant now, such as App Permissions. Nowhere do I see anyting that seems relate to 'drawing over other Apps, or 'blocking Play Store'. I still have the App which some years ago I managed to identify as the culprit ,,,,it was MultiClip, which I still consider to be worth keeping. I see nothing to suggest it is now the cause of the problem.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Forum

The Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 release date was January 2019. Features and Specs include a 6.3" inch screen, 48MP camera, 3-6GB RAM, Snapdragon 660 processor, and 4000mAh battery.

January 2019
Release Date
Reviews