• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ditching the lag-machine Hero for the Epic?

One more thought. Because it is now legal to "jailbreak" phones. (I just saw an article) What are some thoughts on waiting for the iphone to be able to work on sprint? Please go easy on me..............

Actually it can be done already from what I was told, you have to get an unlocked one first, then get it programmed, the issue is not all the options and programs are working on it apparently

Upvote 0
One more thought. Because it is now legal to "jailbreak" phones. (I just saw an article) What are some thoughts on waiting for the iphone to be able to work on sprint? Please go easy on me..............

where to begin...:D
the iphone is only compatible on gsm networks (sim cards) - sprint/vzw is CDMA w/out sim cards. So we'd have to wait to see if they release one for vzw, before we can even think about JB for sprint. i also believe jailbreak and rooting are legal under certain circumstances - not all.

my hero lags, but being rooted and using a custom OS is better than stock. it is kind of sad that the hero functions at or slower than my 1st generation ipod touch. I will not get the epic (though i like how it looks) because it uses the most useless of custom UI's - touchwiz...

Upvote 0
where to begin...:D
the iphone is only compatible on gsm networks (sim cards) - sprint/vzw is CDMA w/out sim cards. So we'd have to wait to see if they release one for vzw, before we can even think about JB for sprint. i also believe jailbreak and rooting are legal under certain circumstances - not all.

my hero lags, but being rooted and using a custom OS is better than stock. it is kind of sad that the hero functions at or slower than my 1st generation ipod touch. I will not get the epic (though i like how it looks) because it uses the most useless of custom UI's - touchwiz...

Interesting someone told me they heard of someone using a I Phone on there Sprint account, maybe they were BS me

Upvote 0
Interesting someone told me they heard of someone using a I Phone on there Sprint account, maybe they were BS me

i have no idea how they would do that because the iphone does not have radio hardware that supports cdma...so it's not a matter of software tweeking. so unless they jammed and made a cdma radio work inside of their iphone, it's not possible...till someone proves me wrong.

Upvote 0
i have no idea how they would do that because the iphone does not have radio hardware that supports cdma...so it's not a matter of software tweeking. so unless they jammed and made a cdma radio work inside of their iphone, it's not possible...till someone proves me wrong.

Now that I think about it I agree, but that is what I was told, not that I care, LOL I hate Apple products anyways, LOL

Upvote 0

I just called my buddy who told me that, and now he is telling me he did not say that, he said he mentioned that he had access to 4000 apps that can be put on an unlocked I phone but that a few programs did not work, but that most did, I said well I am sure of what I heard but hey I will agree to disagree, LOL

Upvote 0
Hopefully I will be upgrading to something in October but it won't be the epic or the evo. I finally got around to playing with the evo over the weekend. That thing is WAY too big for me. I'm sure something else will be out by then.

The Epic is smaller, but a bit larger than the Hero

Upvote 0
Last I read the Epic was sporting the same 4.3 inch screen as the Eco, but with the addition of a slide out keyboard. All that, plus, its just hideous...

Nope 4 inch

If you’re an avid cell phone enthusiast you may have already heard about the Samsung Epic 4G due out on Sprint. It will be the second 4G capable handset on the Sprint network, is part of the new breed of Samsung smartphones and powered by Android 2.1.

As yet no date of release has been confirmed but the rumors on the internet are all saying August 20 so that seems fairly likely. Up till now there has not been much available on specs but an article by Andrew Munchbach over on Boy Genius Report tells us that sdx.developers.com has managed to get their hands on a full specs sheet.

For starters there’s a Samsung 1GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird Processor and a 4-inch Super AMOLED capacitive touch-screen display. There’s also a 5-megapixel camera with 3x digital zoom, LED flash and 720p video recording. Add 1GB ROM, 512 MB RAM, GPS, six-axis motion sensor and a micro-SD card slot and it’s all looking pretty impressive.

There’s an impressive array of Android Apps now available on the Android Market with over 50,000 available and of course also access to Google mobile services such as Google Maps, Google Search, Google Talk and Gmail. The 4G capability will be a big selling point of course and there’s not long to wait. For more on this and the full specs go to boygeniusreport.com. What do you think of what you’ve heard about the Samsung Epic 4G? We’d be interested in hearing your thoughts on the next hot smartphone.

Upvote 0
My phone has always lagged. It lags even more with the new android 2.2 rom update... I'm gonna go to sprint and see if I can get another one or upgrade to the evo (don't know if I can do that just yet).

2.2, I assume you mean you are rooted, if yes you better put your phone back to stock before doing so

Upvote 0
Actually I meant the official 2.1 android update. The other thing I absolutely hate is the battery life. I usually ride my motorcycle about 400-500 miles a weekend (yes I love to ride) and my phone will be dead before I can get back home! I'm sure the evo has bad battery life too, but at least I won't lag!

Get a charger for your bike, you can also stop some processes that you don't use and that should also help

Upvote 0
Just a question. Who is thinking of dropping* the lag machine for the new Epic?

K, thought I'd bring some legitimate conversation here.

I AM switching from the Hero in October. I don't really care where I go. Don't get me wrong, I adore the little devil, but I can't ignore the progression of technology. I've got no lag; yes, I'm rooted with Fresh 2.3.3. I don't have many battery issues anymore.

Thing is, I don't know where I'll go.

Pros for the EVO is the screen, kickstand, better cameras, and the HDMI out.
Cons are obviously, battery, girth, and premium charge.

Pros for the Epic are it's a Galaxy S (reported to be AMAZING), battery, and hardware keyboard (which I don't much care about).
"eh" is the similar size screen.
Con is the thickness and the smaller screen.

We'll see what happens, but I'll probably go EVO.

Upvote 0
I am rooted and had a bad experience when I first tried out a 2.1 ROM (missed calls, lag, etc). I quickly reverted back to 1.5 (Fresh Kitchen) and have been happy I did.

Same here. I was using the custom ROMs (fresh, damaged, etc.) and they resulted in lags, missed calls, all kinds of strange issues. Then I restored stock 1.5 and the Hero worked like a charm. No lag or balky performance.

I am now on to an Evo because I love the large screen...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones