• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Divergence between respective Android devices

Haderach

Lurker
Aug 15, 2010
Hi,

While now I'm thinking of development of application on Android device, is there any divergence between each Android device that are distributed in many countries ?

In other words, do I need to conduct a test of my application by means of lots of Android devices in the world in order to check of my application's behaviour ?

It would be much appreciated if you could give any advice for me.

Kind regards,
Haderach

No, the ui elements are handled with xml which can be customized for each locale setting. As far asactual coding goes, if it works for one locale it will work for others. thehardware itself is the same world-wide. The default locale setting (changeable by anyone)is the only thing that differs (and sometimes the OS version depending on carrier).

Reactions: Haderach
Upvote 0
You do have to take different android versions in account. While making your app you can set a target version. That means that probably any phone running that version or above can use your app. But when the phone has a lower version it probably can't run your app because it may contain functionality not available for the lower android version (like multitouch in android 2.0>).

Reactions: Haderach
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones