1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Divx/Xvid support - Hardware dependent?

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by omkar_ghaisas, Feb 25, 2011.

1. omkar_ghaisas

omkar_ghaisas Newbie

Hi,
    While buying a phone, if it doesn't support out of the box ability to play Divx/Xvid/H.264 etc files, can the phone play it later on using some other player (which can be separately installed)? or is this playibility hardware dependent upto certain extent.

In essence are smartphones similar to normal pcs wherein there is just a software installation for everything and there it is.. Everything wld play..

Pls suggest.

Thanks
    Omkar

2. Well I am sure some paid media player might able to play it on the market. But for people like me who does special encoding for device specific media for best quality. What you want to do is based on your own phone resolution convert it without as default mp4 is sufficient enough to handle it and once converted you never have to worry again.

3. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert

In answer to your question: yes and no. There are several wide-codec support video players on the Market, however none of them are able to utilise the GPU for decoding video, so compared to phones with proper support for divx/xvid/mkv they are obviously not going to be as good (especially with stuff like 720p video). You're kinda limited to Samsung stuff like the Galaxy S range if you want top of the line wide-codec support, although other manufacturers are gradually getting around to adding support (but for many of those manufacturers early efforts at divx support playback has all kinds of limitations, for example the Desire HD has problems with files over a certain size, throws a wobbly at many different kinds of encoding etc).

4. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User

5. Usta

Usta Android Expert

I'd rather not convert any video, because any conversion will result in a loss of quality (regardless of the settings). Using the all-in-one players available, I simply play my videos on HTC Desire without any conversion (up to HD quality).

6. weaselaow

weaselaow Member

Divx /Xvid /x264 are only libary for encoding video in some standard for example x264 to H264 video...
    Its not depend on hardware its alll software... Hardware maybe dont have dedicate gpu chip for decoding and then will be problem with big bitrate/resolution...
    But hardware cant restrict encoders...
    its stupid to say

7. Usta

Usta Android Expert

Indeed.
    However, HW has its role in decoding videos. For example, as pointed out by GPU acceleration, or simply by row processing power. From this perspective, a weak hardware will not be able to process decoding, especially if that involves H264 material at high resolution.