• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root DIY: How To Decompile An Apk

Yessuh! i'm running windows, 64 bit and it's the Java i downloaded/installed. once installed, is it supposed to just show up as one of the paths in the enviromental variable section?

Yes. It should show up as a variable all on its on. It should say Classpath ;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

Or something like that.

Should be located above the path selection in user variables and system variables.

Reactions: danielistico
Upvote 0
Yes. It should show up as a variable all on its on. It should say Classpath ;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

Or something like that.

Should be located above the path selection in user variables and system variables.

alright, and if it doesn't. should i just keep installing Java over and over until it does? or is there anything else i could be doing wrong and why it's not letting it show up?

[EDIT] also, there's no PATH on user variables. and the only path on System Variables is the one i created to follow instuctions on step 10 that i quoted previously.
BTW thanks for taking the time to deal with me!

Upvote 0
alright, and if it doesn't. should i just keep installing Java over and over until it does? or is there anything else i could be doing wrong and why it's not letting it show up?

[EDIT] also, there's no PATH on user variables. and the only path on System Variables is the one i created to follow instuctions on step 10 that i quoted previously.
BTW thanks for taking the time to deal with me!

No other paths but the one you created? WOW. I have several.

I do know I had to install and uninstall Java several times for it to show up right.

EDIT: you can always put the Java in the variable path yourself and see if that will work.

EDIT: no problem. Like I stated, we were all noops once.

Upvote 0
Make sure Java is installed:

Open Environment Variables.

The first thing you should see when you open the environment variable screen on your computer is 2 boxes.
1. User variables for (insert your computer name here)
2. System variables.

Go to User variables for (computer name)

Hit new.

Next you should see a screen pop up saying New User Variable
Variable name:
Variable value:

In Variable Name:
Type : Classpath

In Variable value:
Type : ".;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\lib\ext\QTJava.zip;" WITHOUT QUOTES

Next do the EXACT samething in System variables.

If you scroll down in System varable you should see JAVA_HOME.

If not hit new:

Pop up screen will appear.

In Variable name

Type: JAVA_HOME (in caps)

In Variable value

Type: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_27;%JAVA_HOME%\bin

You should also see (if you scroll down futher) QTJAVA. If not;

Hit new

In Variable Name

Type: QTJAVA

In Variable value :

Type: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

That should solve all the path issues.

Upvote 0
No other paths but the one you created? WOW. I have several.

I do know I had to install and uninstall Java several times for it to show up right.

EDIT: you can always put the Java in the variable path yourself and see if that will work.

EDIT: no problem. Like I stated, we were all noops once.

Alright, so I overlooked something really basic, and i've gotten closer to it. I typed in 0 to pull the apk, it said pulling and got a popup window saying "The program can't start because AdbWinApi.dll is missin from your computer. Try renistalling the program to fix this problem" Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Alright, so I overlooked something really basic, and i've gotten closer to it. I typed in 0 to pull the apk, it said pulling and got a popup window saying "The program can't start because AdbWinApi.dll is missin from your computer. Try renistalling the program to fix this problem" Any ideas?

Something went wrong with the download or installing the adb program.

Uninstall and reinstall.

Upvote 0
Alright, re-installing. For some reason i was still able to "go on" and typed the rest of the commands, and i got "Could not find c:\apk_manager\place-apk-here-for-modding\../place-apk-here-for-modding\signedJBX.apk

That would be because you didnt delete the files you modified when the screen came up asking you to delete the resorces.arc and the res folder in the keep folder.

Upvote 0
when was that supposed to pop up? When i extracted the files and copied them to the "other" folder? because none of the files that were going to be replaced or changed, had those names.
This is LOTS more difficult that i ever thought!

You are modifiying an xml file, so you will have to delete the resources.arc file at least plus what ever file you extracted it from.

Upvote 0
You are modifiying an xml file, so you will have to delete the resources.arc file at least plus what ever file you extracted it from.

My good sir. i have nothing but the highest level of respect for you for attempting to teach me how to do this. I guess my level of understanding of this whole world is WAY beyond my capacity at this time. I'm calling it quits for now. I have never, in my entire life, felt so useless and stupid!
I've gained a new level of respect for devs thanks to this experience.
Again, thank you!

Upvote 0
My good sir. i have nothing but the highest level of respect for you for attempting to teach me how to do this. I guess my level of understanding of this whole world is WAY beyond my capacity at this time. I'm calling it quits for now. I have never, in my entire life, felt so useless and stupid!
I've gained a new level of respect for devs thanks to this experience.
Again, thank you!

For the Samsung phones it takes a lot of patience and understanding in order to do certain things. Beleive me, I myself have a lot to learn still. You are not stupid or useless. Just need more understanding on how this phone works.

Upvote 0
Yes

In the apk manager folder you'll find a keep folder. Within it, delete everything you have modified and leave files that you haven't. If you have modified any xml, then delete resources.arsc from that folder as well. Once done then press enter on this script.
Press any key to continue...
Any folder which has been modified needs to be deleted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones