• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DJ event packing list

Hi All
I am the owner of a DJ business which specializes in gigs for school dances. We usually bring a lot of equipment to each gig. Try as we might, we always seem to lose stuff at every gig. The way we do packing now is just a paper check list, but every time out seems stuff gets checked that hasn't been packed.

I'd like to put a bar code on each piece of equipment and then use my android phone to scan items being loaded up to set up a packing list, then after the gig we can scan each item as it gets loaded back up so we know if an item has been packed back up because it actually has to be present to scan it so we can avoid accidentally checking off an item that hasn't actually been loaded.

If any one knows of an app that does something like this, please let me know. Otherwise, would this app be allot of trouble to write?

I have more specific details for it to be able to ID equipment but I won't bore you with those details until I know if this app is even practical to write. If it is ill give more details. Just let me know.

Thanx in Advanced for your replies.
JL Griffin

Very interesting problem, especially since I used to do mobile DJing!

Please do explain the idea you had about ID'ing.

In theory, thinking about what would need to be programmed, it's very doable.

To make it worth while, the app would need to have its scope broadened to perhaps be useful for companies that hire out equipment and so on.

My main question is where would the data need to be stored? Or accessed? In other words, specifically, would any of the data on stock need to be made available outside of the one phone that uses the app? My thinking is that it could be more convenient to set up the database, and print out the barcodes from a PC? I suppose it's not essential, but this leads to other questions like would it be helpful for other people to have access to the data in some form, and what would their role be, etc

if you'd like to discuss this idea, this is a good a place as any for the mean time

Upvote 0
My wife and I play in a band and also DJ some events. The way we did what you are talking about is through an app called "our groceries". It was designed for making grocery lists, but I found it works great for exactly what you are talking about. It might be hard to follow what I am saying without the app, but if you download it, you'll understand. I use the recipe function to be able to recall a list that I use over and over again. This list will sync in real time between my phone and my wifes phone. When we pack up to go to a gig, I recall my band recipe which will then create a list of all the things I don't want to forget to take to a gig. As my wife and I pack things up, you just tap on the item that you packed up and they are removed from the list on both phones. After a gig, I recall the list again and we check things off as we pack them. It took a minute to figure out how to create a recipe and then how to recall it, but once you figure it out, it is really easy to do. I know it sounds strange to use a grocery list for this and a recipe function, but in reality it's just a list app that functions as a checklist.

By the way, to get your phones to sync together, you need to go into the settings, select list sharing and enter your email address. On any phone you want to share your list with, you have to enter the SAME email address. All phones that share a list must have the identical email address in the list sharing option.

I hope this helps, it sure works well for us.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones