• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dlna?

zetroc

Android Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2010
So I'm not convinced about the revue but figured I'd take it home and test it. The Best Buy guy said it's not DLNA certified so sharing media might be disappointing. What does this all mean? I'm not well-versed on DLNA so I'm not sure what I should or ahouldnt expect or what the disappointment will be.

Can anyone enlighten me?

I've heard the Revue isn't as good a media player as the Sony units. I have a sony blu ray player and I have dlna software (Twonky) on a linux server where all my media is.

It allows me to access my media from my blu ray player, tv, google tv blu ray player, xoom, and Droid X phones. Everything works great on my devices (including 1080p mkvs) except the Droid X phones can't play everything.

I love dlna and I'm pretty sure your Revue should work fine, especially after the honeycomb update.

Upvote 0
The revue as you already know does not have dlna, however it will access the media on any device connected to the same network it's on. For example, my revue, laptop, tablet and phone are all connected to the same home network via wifi. I can access media files on all devices from the revue including pictures, videos and of course music.

Upvote 0
The Revue is a DLNA client, that is how it access media on other platforms that are running a DLNA server like your phone or laptop.

The Sony Google TV are also DLNA clients through their media player, the only advantage the Sony have is slightly better media support like DTS audio support.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones