1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root DNA Bricked

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Funyans, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Funyans

Funyans Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2013
    This is my third android phone and I'm finally stumped. I got my Droid DNA yesterday and rooted and unlocked it right away. I even had genome running on it but then I accidentally wiped.... EVERYTHING. So now I have a rooted, unlocked phone without a rom installed or even in .zip form in the memory. I have tried sideloading the rom using adb and twrp, as well as pushing a rom to the phone. I'm a little out of my depth here, but I can get fastboot on my computer to recognize the phone, just not adb while in twrp recovery.

Any advice on how to make this happen would be appreciated. I miss my droid x and og droid where I could just take the sd card out and load the rom manually...

Advertisement

2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #
    None

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    Exactly what methods and commands did you use when attempting adb? You running windows, Linux, or Mac?

Rxpert83 likes this.
  3. Funyans

Funyans Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2013
    I am running windows 7. When the phone is hooked up by usb and in bootloader i can type "fastboot devices" and it responds with "*serial key* fastboot"

When the phone is in recovery (twrp, but I have also used cwm) and I type adb devices it says "list of devices attached" and then nothing

I am looking at the RUU method, but am worried I will have the same problems.

4. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    Are you selecting any options when you enter TWRP? If so, don't. Just let it sit there showing the options. Then type the adb devices command.

5. Funyans

Funyans Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2013
    Just turned the phone completely off and then on again, then touched nothing and input command. It still lists nothing under devices detected.

If it helps, when I type "adb shell" it says "error: device not found"

6. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    Well you'd need to mount system to run a shell but I'm not getting why your device isn't showing up after adb devices. When it's showing up as blank after issuing it, try adb reboot recovery and see what you get back.

7. Funyans

Funyans Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2013
    Just tried it, same error - device not found.

Maybe there is something wrong with my usb driver? I used the htc sync software to get it but I've been suspicious that didn't work - also can't find it in device manager. Still, would fastboot work without the driver?

8. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    I'm beginning to wonder the same. Most generally, in device manager when things are working while in the bootloader, you'll see it show up as adb bootloader interface or similar verbage.

Just to rule out another thing...do you have the full blown sdk or a mini sdk type of package? When you drill into your sdk package and into the platform-tools folder, just need to make sure that fastboot(.exe) and adb(.exe) are in both in there. If it's a mini sdk package from somewhere, there likely won't be a platform-tools folder, it'd just be in the mini-sdk folder or whatever the download would have been called.

I've had pretty decent luck with the htc sync drivers for htc phones but perhaps you need an additional driver in this case for adb usage idk. I don't own a DNA at present so if there's any oddities involving an adb driver, I wouldn't know about it.

9. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
  10. Funyans

Funyans Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2013
    I checked and I have the full blown sdk. I'll look at those links right now thank you so much for the help so far!

11. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love
    None

May 14, 2010
    Female
    AZ
    Moved to "all things root" for further discussion.:)

iowabowtech likes this.
  12. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    Yeah no problem man. With any luck maybe you can just get by with switching usb ports from a 3.0 to a 2.0 if you were previously using a 3.0 that is.

If you end up needing to switch to the pdanet drivers, you can find it HERE.

Also if you go the pdanet route, when you uninstall htc sync, it used to be that a secondary little driver utility was packaged with htc sync. If that's still the case, uninstall it from your machine too. Find both at add/remove programs of course. They may not do it that way anymore idk. If not, just ditch htc sync and that should take care of it.

13. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA

Thanks DW, I didn't even notice. :D

:five:

damewolf13 likes this.
  14. Funyans

Funyans Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2013
    I read through both those links and so far I have moved to usb 2 and uninstalled everything htc related on my computer I then restarted and installed pdanet drivers successfully. It made no difference.

I'm still reading through everything on those two links so hopefully I can get some traction soon.

Thanks

15. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    Man this one's being a pain. Maybe try another usb cable too if you have a few laying around. Also if you haven't rebooted your machine since the pdanet drivers install, try that too. :dontknow:

16. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    Hey I just noticed in a different root thread here that Scotty recommended the revolutionary drivers for adb/fastboot. Maybe that's the better way to go?

Here they are if you still can't connect via adb:

http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe (download and run as admisitrator)

Again, may be best to ditch you current driver prior to intall.

17. Funyans

Funyans Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2013
    I just had a breakthrough! I can access adb now only if I have the RUU program up with the pdanet drivers. I sideloaded the rom and it appeared to work, but would only boot to recovery, then I used the push command to install the rom manually - same thing.

This is a ROM which ran no problems after the first install yesterday. I at least am now hopeful this is a small problem.

18. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    So what you used adb to push the rom to the /sdcard location? And then you used TWRP to wipe data/cache/dalvik and then load the rom? And that didn't result in a booting phone?

19. Funyans

Funyans Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2013
    Exactly. I can still only access bootloader and recovery even though it showed as everything going ok when I installed the ROM first from the sideload and then from the push command while wiping cache, data, and delvik before and after each step.

20. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    I'm not sure we're on the same page but we might be. I thought you had a non booting phone right now. If so, how are you sideloading a rom? I'm envisioning that you are using adb to push the rom to the /sdcard and then you are restarting recovery and choosing options to (possibly wipe/format /system) but definitely wipe data, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache, then install zip, navigate to /sdcard which should now contain the rom (still zipped) that you pushed there via adb and then install it using twrp.

Is that how you're doing things and it's still not booting anywhere but to recovery?

21. Funyans

Funyans Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2013
    Yes, let me try to clarify. My original problem was erasing my entire rom and its zip file through twrp on accident. I could and still can boot to both bootloader (unlocked) and recovery (twrp). The difference is now that I can access the zip file for the ROM I had working easily before, but the symptoms with regards to the phone have not changed.

scotty85 likes this.
  22. Funyans

Funyans Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2013
    What caused this problem in the first place exactly was me selecting the wipe menu in TWRP and wiping both system and internal storage (I don't know why either) so maybe I need More than just a ROM install to get everything back that I deleted?

EDIT: There is still one option left in that menu that I haven't used called format data. Maybe that will reformat the memory so I could sideload again and have it work this time?

scotty85 likes this.
  23. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    With that said, I have an idea. In twrp, go to wipe > format data and try that before loading the rom. That should rebuild the file system (I hope).

scotty85 likes this.
  24. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    ^^lol. You ninja'd me with your edit. Fingers crossed.

edit: you might also format data, then reboot recovery, then try to flash the rom. That extra step may not hurt imo.

scotty85 likes this.
  25. fifthstreetjammer

None

Apr 11, 2010
    professional gambler
    nashville, tn
    Don't mean to just jump in here, but I've had my fair share of borking before I turned pro. If you can access recovery and you're selecting the proper wipe options (data/factory reset, cache, dalvik and maybe system, isn't going to hurt) and selecting install zip from sd, does it install fine? The script doesn't come up with any errors? If not and it says it installs, but fails to boot then you have two options.

1) Flash the recovery again via fastboot, either TWRP or CWM

2) RUU and re-unlock re-root etc

Additionally, have you flashed a boot.img file to this phone other than stock? Meaning tried a new kernel. If so, check to see if you needed to and did flash the modules needed, or just flash a new one to see if you can boot.

Hope this helps!

scotty85 likes this.