• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DNS problem after 6.0.1

Hi guys! :)

I have Samsung Galaxy S6 DUOS.

When the newest version of Android become available for Galaxy S6, I installed it. After that I notice that I have problem with home WiFi. When I connected on home network, my Internet is slower that I must be.

I look on the forums and found out that the problem is with DNS. After I install DNS changer everything works perfect but I want to know how I can solve this problem that I don't need to have one app more and constantly remember that I must turn it on if I want great internet at home.

3G/4G and other WiFis works perfect without turning app on.

Is there any chance that I solve this problem without rooting phone. I'm scared because I still have warranty on my phone.

Please, help. ;)

The DNS Changer app on your phone only alters the DNS addresses on your phone, sounds like you want to change the DNS on your home router so it applies to everything that's connected to your home LAN. Do you have your own wireless router or are you using a combination modem/router supplied by your ISP?

Upvote 0
The DNS Changer app on your phone only alters the DNS addresses on your phone, sounds like you want to change the DNS on your home router so it applies to everything that's connected to your home LAN. Do you have your own wireless router or are you using a combination modem/router supplied by your ISP?

I only want fast internet like I have on my PCs, tablet,... because I have 50 mbs download speed.
I have own wireless router at home but it's from the provider T-Com like America Earthlink, Sprint,...

Upvote 0
All you need to do is access your router's setup menu and find the setting for DNS. It will most likely be set to use whatever is supplied by whatever your ISP feeds it, that's the typical default setting for almost all consumer routers. There's usually some kind of checkbox to change the setting so you can type in your own DNS addresses.

There are numerous public DNS addresses along with region specific ones.
Try using one of these two:
Google's public DNS
or
Open DNS

Reactions: ivan2105
Upvote 0
All you need to do is access your router's setup menu and find the setting for DNS. It will most likely be set to use whatever is supplied by whatever your ISP feeds it, that's the typical default setting for almost all consumer routers. There's usually some kind of checkbox to change the setting so you can type in your own DNS addresses.

There are numerous public DNS addresses along with region specific ones.
Try using one of these two:
Google's public DNS
or
Open DNS

Doesn't work :/ I tried and nothing. Same thing.
I try test speed and result is good. Speed is like on computer (full speed that I have from my wifi) but in real, it isn't.
This is so annoying. :(

Upvote 0
Doesn't work :/ I tried and nothing. Same thing.
I try test speed and result is good. Speed is like on computer (full speed that I have from my wifi) but in real, it isn't.
This is so annoying. :(

So if you did change the DNS settings in your router and you're still having this same issue with your phone, it may not be an issue with DNS to begin with. Since the problem began after a system update to your phone, try wiping the system cache partition on your S6. Do this while your phone is running in its Recovery Mode (power off your phone and then restart it simultaneously holding down the Volume Up button, the Home button, and the Power button).
The system cache partition is separate from your data partition so this won't delete any of your files, settings, or apps. It's more of a basic maintenance task relative to the operating system.

Reactions: ivan2105
Upvote 0
So if you did change the DNS settings in your router and you're still having this same issue with your phone, it may not be an issue with DNS to begin with. Since the problem began after a system update to your phone, try wiping the system cache partition on your S6. Do this while your phone is running in its Recovery Mode (power off your phone and then restart it simultaneously holding down the Volume Up button, the Home button, and the Power button).
The system cache partition is separate from your data partition so this won't delete any of your files, settings, or apps. It's more of a basic maintenance task relative to the operating system.

Thanks a LOT!! Problem was in combination of these two problems. I change DNS sucessfully but I must forget wi fi network on phone and then wipe the system cache. Now it works! You saved my nerves and battery life because I don't need to turn on DNS changer on phone every time I want home wi fi. :D Thanks man! ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones