• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DNS Server on Port 53

krongi

Lurker
Aug 9, 2011
Hey guys, first post ever. I looked on the forums for this as well as google but I can't seem to find any information on it.

First off I am running and LG Optimus M (Metro-PCS) aka MS-690 with CM7, obviously I'm rooted.

I want to use this old android phone as a DNS server. I have already found an app which appears to work, but unfortunately doesn't do what I want it to do.

My problem is that the server wants to run on port 5353, according to the developer this is basically by design for android.

Knowing that android is based on linux I refuse to believe it.

Every time I attempt to use port 53 as the port for DNS I get an error stating

"The port you entered is not valid, try another one (this normally happens because Android doesn't allow a server on that port or another app is using the port"

I'm fairly confident nothing is using the port. I suppose it could be the web browser. Possibly the google play store.

My question is this: Is there a way to circumvent this behavior? I don't want to have to go to each PC in my home and tell it to use a specific port. I just want the DNS service to run as it is supposed to be run.

Thank you so much for your help and all the help you have provided in the past without me having to ask.

krongi

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones