• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do 56% of Verizon

Wow, the Prada was out a few months before the iPhone, and even it could play Flash...

he was trying to prove me wrong about the iphone being the first multi-touch mobile device, but capacitive touch is not multi-touch as jroc pointed out. and it's ui was flash based, it's not like you could browse the web and view flash like you can with froyo.

The iPhone looks and behaves just like a Prada... And, Mac OS looks and feels just like NextStep...

you yourself said that the prada came out a few months before iphone (not in us market, iphone was first). the iphone took over 30 months to create. you'll probably also be surprised to learn that the iphone was actually officially announced before the prada. i even remember rumors of apple possibly suing lg, lol.

btw i remember when the prada came out and actually used one. it's nothing like an iphone other than the form factor, despite the fact iphone has only two physical buttons. prada had no wifi, no virtual keyboard, no google map, no fully functional web browser, not to mention the "flick" motion or even "pinch to zoom" function that the multi-touch brought to the table. the prada was an expensive and very cool phone for the time, but a few months later the iphone absolutely blew it out of the american consciousness.

i'm not claiming that apple built the iphone from divine inspiration, i know apple's track record and it wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn apple kept a close eye on prada and may have made very deliberate design decisions based on it. BUT we aren't in smartphone heaven now (with win7, glorious android devices, and yes ip4 on verizon) because of prada. apple and iphone did that, with strong sales and yes, the help of those that came before them. hell, even you didn't know about the prada until you saw a wiki link.

The iPhone looks and feels much like the Prada, which came out prior. It was "different". It wasn't "New".

still photos of the phone and os will make anyone say, "iphone and prada are bona fide doppelgangers!" in real life function and use, iphone is highly more evolved than prada. android and iphone are very similar in that regard.

The "killer" moniker is being applied to the iPhone by most phanbois on the Apple side. As in "Android Killer"...

The Appple phanbois tend to do that to a greater extent than other phanbois. Like when Snow Leopard was referred to as a "Windows Killer."

um...neat?

Upvote 0
Sigh, people fighting over which one is better over the other. Nonetheless Im happy that iphone hasnt sold well so far on V, but honestly I couldn't care less what phone you or anybody else has with the exception of keeping a high marketshare for app development.

As for Android being clunky and so forth, never understood that as iphone comes off as disorganized and the logic doesnt fit my logic in the least. The 5 home screens that Android has that you can place any icon you like in any order with the remaining alphabetical ordered apps in the slider makes far more sense than the way ios did things prior to the folders and even then the folders is one more tap.

The one thing I have noticed is that I do not use my slide keyboard pretty much ever, I know plenty of people that use it as the only way to type.

Talk to text is great, talk to search, talk to navigate, talk to whatever I use heavily. Navigation I use heavily. Skype to bluetooth is nice. My friend who started on iphone, then went to v and has had a droid 1 and droid x and finally upon release of iphone on v she was a preorder. She received it and immediately hated it for the reasons above, $10/m for navigation for what we had free, speaker phone sucks no way to change a battery... She used to love her iphone until she migrated over to android and now after a week of using her iphone 4 she returned it.

To each his own, but I had to listen to her go off for 10 minutes in her russian accent about how much she hated it and all I could do is smile and nod.

The iphone and mac logic are for some people but not every person has the same needs or wants and of the 10 people that I know that had switched from iphone to higher end android phones aka the phones in the same class, everyone of them after 2 weeks said they used to love their iphones, switched from att due to 8 or more dropped calls daily and now prefer android and wont go back. Im sure their are people on the android side that have done the same, I just havent met them. I do believe that most people that have issues with android are using cheep phones that maybe are still on 1.6 and assume that a $50 android phone is just the same as a $200. Dont know, but thats been my experience and based off of that, no very few android users will be switching but Im sure some will.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Great...now we're already waiting for the iPhone 5 to end the debate once and for all???

iPhone 5 vs....

6g.png

Upvote 0
I'm hopeful that the vPhone sales are an indication that some of the apple blind obligation purchase magic is gone. Maybe a few more people will buy for their needs, not for the approval of jes... Steve Jobs and the need to be in the warm zombified embrace of the cool crowd? At least in my orbit of friends and acquaintances, there seems to be an increase in the number of iPhone users openly critical of the phone. In the past, no matter what problems they might have they always waxed on how they loved their iPhone. Not that Apple needs to worry much. They're still buying iPads in droves, where due to limited use it eventually becomes another (very expensive) game console for their kids. Ask them, and they will say they love their iPads.

Upvote 0
I'm hopeful that the vPhone sales are an indication that some of the apple blind obligation purchase magic is gone. Maybe a few more people will buy for their needs, not for the approval of jes... Steve Jobs and the need to be in the warm zombified embrace of the cool crowd? At least in my orbit of friends and acquaintances, there seems to be an increase in the number of iPhone users openly critical of the phone. In the past, no matter what problems they might have they always waxed on how they loved their iPhone. Not that Apple needs to worry much. They're still buying iPads in droves, where due to limited use it eventually becomes another (very expensive) game console for their kids. Ask them, and they will say they love their iPads.

I think the average person buying a smartphone is much more informed now than they were when the iPhone first came out and gained it's instant fame. Couple that with the fact that Apple no longer has a device that is heads above all the rest...it won't have the market share that it has had in the past.

A lady I work with was just notified that she was eligible for an upgrade. She is not very technical so I showed her the available phones Verizon has. and just gave her top level info only. Obviously she had heard of the iPhone but was completely unaware that it was available on Verizon and she was unaware of all the Android phones on Verizon (which as of today...is not the best selection of Android devices). She instantly started going down the Android path because of the selection, different form factors, different prices (she doesn't want to spend a lot to get a lot). I told her that she could probably pick up the Droid Incredible for free from Best Buy when they were running their next promotion on it.

Coming from the EnV touch, I would have loved to have a good phone with a physical keyboard to recommend but the Droid 2 is the best they currently have (which is sad...WTF Verizon???...where's the HTC Merge already? :)) and the D2 is still $200! She says she doesn't "need" to have a physical keyboard but she'd prefer it.

I told her I'd go to the store with her and we could play with all the available phones. She may end up with an iPhone but if she does, I'm certain it will be due to the simplistic nature of the device...which is Apple's biggest selling point at this time...and that really caters to the novice smartphone user IMO.

Just searched...and the DInc is free @ Best Buy. She is going to pick one up after work. In the end, she doesn't want to pay $200 for a phone if she doesn't have to.

Upvote 0

Not likely. The only reason the phone didnt do big numbers

1) Its almost a year old
2) The new one comes out in June
3) They still sold a million of em in a week

When the 5 comes out it will do numbers no doubt about it.

Upvote 0
Not likely. The only reason the phone didnt do big numbers

1) Its almost a year old
2) The new one comes out in June
3) They still sold a million of em in a week

When the 5 comes out it will do numbers no doubt about it.

Well we all know every year this phone cause a buzz around June, but if they keep that same size screen and the phone look the same I don't think many will be going crazy for the phone.I have many friends that kept the iPhone Gs and didn't like the iPhone 4 except for the resolution and retina display

Upvote 0
Well we all know every year this phone cause a buzz around June, but if they keep that same size screen and the phone look the same I don't think many will be going crazy for the phone.I have many friends that kept the iPhone Gs and didn't like the iPhone 4 except for the resolution and retina display

Agreed...but Apple isn't going to lie down and die. Just when you think Apple isn't so great...they revolutionize something.

Apple is a "game changer" kind of company...it's what they do. Look at the tablet section of this forum. It's growing at a very fast rate. Why? Cause Apple changed the tablet game. They weren't first...but they made people say "I think it would be cool to have a tablet" and other manufacturers took notice.

If they came out with a 3.5" screen iPhone 5...I'd be shocked. 4G isn't enough of an improvement this time IMO. I think we will see a drastic OS redesign, larger display (or offer multiple screen sizes...but that's not really their style), and some answer to the popularity of widgets.

I can appreciate Apple as a company because even though I don't own a single apple product, their ingenuity is seen quite often throughout various consumer electronics.

The iPhone is very simple and elegant in many ways...but I think it's reached a time where people are seeing it as too simple. Just my opinion...but talking with several novice smartphone users...they see it as a boring device.

Upvote 0
Agreed...but Apple isn't going to lie down and die. Just when you think Apple isn't so great...they revolutionize something.

Apple is a "game changer" kind of company...it's what they do. Look at the tablet section of this forum. It's growing at a very fast rate. Why? Cause Apple changed the tablet game. They weren't first...but they made people say "I think it would be cool to have a tablet" and other manufacturers took notice.

Yes, that's all about the marketing. But all they've done was to take the same app-centric UI on the iphone and put it on a bigger screen.

Upvote 0
Yank the labels off the phones and get two new consumers to play with both platforms. Most will choose iOS over Android because android looks and runs awful compared to iOS, and iOS has all the apps. The user experience is more positive. No one wants to hear that, but it is true.

Lol you haven't seen an EVO run yet, now have you? Or hell, even my Epic. They both run smooth as silk. It's obvious you haven't touched a quality Android handset or else you wouldn't have opened your mouth.

EDIT: And I don't need apps, my EVO can run the entire internet, not just what some overlord tells me it can run. HTML5? Done. Streaming Media over Flash? Done. Interactive websites? Piece of cake.

Reactions: hilman
Upvote 0
Wait for the first nvidia/Honeycomb android phone to come out and then we'll have some fun. :)

That wont be enough to get iOS users to care.

Its going to be a bloodbath when iPhone5 LTE drops unless Google gets ahead of the curve.

A little consistency to bolster the app catalog and reduce fragmentation will go a long way toward closing the gap

Upvote 0
I don't think iPhone 5 will have much of an effect on Android sales at all. The bloodbath will be at at&t when iPhone users leave in droves for Verizon. The complaints of fragmentation are way over blown. The fact is Android has already left iOS in the dirt the same way Windows left MacOS. There will still be plenty of hooplah at iOS device releases, but market share will drop at an accelerated pace....until the next great thing come along, then rinse and repeat.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones