1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Do all Android phones allow installing new Applications?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Ran Droid, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Ran Droid

Ran Droid Lurker
    None

Sep 11, 2011
    I'm new to Android. I want to know, if a phone is claimed to be running on Android, is that it must be able to run any applications downloaded to the phone by the user?

I ask this question because I want to try some Android applications available in the market, since I don't have an Android phone, I get to buy a new one and I am not sure what model from which manufacturer to buy. I may just pick one randomly in the phone stores. But I worry that the Android phone I randomly picked may not allow me to download any applications.

Advertisement

2. PressureDrop

PressureDrop PressureDrop
    VIP Member
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Male
    removing problems
    Decatur, GA
    there are some apps in the market that are only for specific phones/tablets, but for the most part they all work on all phones/tabs :)

3. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    For the most part you should be OK. I have occasionally heard of some non-US phones not having the Market preinstalled. And I know that sideloading (installing apps from outside the Market) is (was?) blocked on some T-Mobile phones. And paid apps aren't available in some non-US countries from the Market, only free ones. But if you're in the US and the phone has a Market icon in the app drawer, you should be OK as far as having access to most compatible apps.